Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how to keep steppers enabled during build

Posted by dougm 
how to keep steppers enabled during build
February 21, 2011 04:13PM
Hi all, I just finished building a custom machine and one of the differences between my machine and the standard machines is that the Z axis is not on screws - it is on a rack and pinion system.

The ReplicatorG software that I'm using disables the stepper driver when the Z axis is not being moved, which unfortunately in my case causes the head to unceremoniously crash into the build platform as soon as either X or Y starts moving.

The simple fix for this would be to find a method of setting the stepper driver control code to never disable any stepper driver once the build has started.

Is this a configurable option or are we talking recompiling the code?

Thanks,

DougM
Re: how to keep steppers enabled during build
February 21, 2011 05:06PM
If you're using the reprap firmware, then you should be able to turn this option off in the firmware code file configuration.h.

// Set these to 1 to disable an axis when it's not being used,
// and for the extruder.  Usually only Z is disabled when not in
// use.  You will probably find that disabling the others (i.e.
// powering down the steppers that drive them) when the ends of
// movements are reached causes poor-quality builds.  (Inertia
// causes overshoot if the motors are not left powered up.)

#define DISABLE_X 0
#define DISABLE_Y 0
#define DISABLE_Z 1
#define DISABLE_E 0

Just change the one for z to 0.
February 21, 2011 06:52PM
Sorry to have to ask but I'm having a devil of a time finding the right source for the firmware

I have a reprap motherboard V1.2
it is running firmware v2.4
So that's the third generation of electronics

So I go to [reprap.org]
and I see the "stable version v1.1" which points to Sourceforge:Home / PIC Firmware / 20060430 which seems kinda old.
But that points me to the most recent stable version - reprap-mendel-20110207.zip which, unfortunately doesn't tell me the version number.
So I downloaded that and looked in the Firmware folder but it doesn't appear to contain anything that looks like motherboard firmware.

anyway, my story goes on like that for a long time.

Could you please point me to the source for the v2.4 firmware? When I google I get lots of hits for the motherboard v2.4 but that's the hardware v2.4, not the software v2.4.

Thanks,

DougM
February 22, 2011 01:35AM
Ok, I think I found the code. Having some problems compiling, but thank you for your help.
February 23, 2011 09:38AM
There are problems with the 20110207 firmware files for gen 3. Someone else has documented how to compile it here on the forum. I did this but it still didn't work for me. Try 20100806 instead. If you're on 64-bit system, try 20100719. It's located in the subdirectory mendel\firmware\FiveD..\FiveD..\configuration.h.

Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login