Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holes in top layer

Posted by danieljabailey 
Holes in top layer
July 19, 2011 04:06AM
I am using the reprap java host and I am having trouble preventing holes from appearing in the top layers of my prints, I wanted to find an option to print the fine layers slower but couldn't find one, I have set the outline to print slower and it looks great, really smooth, no faults at all. if the same was possible with the top layers this may solve the problem, I have also noticed that the options to make more fine layers on the top or bottom has gone, does anybody know why such a handy feature has been deprecated?

I have tried setting the extrusion width (or something like that) lower so that it puts more plastic down, this worked on one print but not on this print of the driven extruder gear.

you can see gaps where it looks like all of my top layers have been torn apart.

any suggestions for how to solve this problem would be great, thanks.
Re: Holes in top layer
July 19, 2011 04:21AM
Have you looked at the gcode to verify that the holes are really there and it is not some other problem with your filament or extruder?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
July 19, 2011 04:52AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you looked at the gcode to verify that the
> holes are really there and it is not some other
> problem with your filament or extruder?

confused smiley erm..... it sounds like you think the holes should be there, I'm saying that the top layer isn't complete, there are gaps in it that let you see through to the infill layers, how do I stop these?
July 19, 2011 05:16AM
It looks like you are stretching the filament too much so that it cant span the gaps in the infill without snapping.

When the filament is smeared onto the layer below, as the outline is, then the fact that it is squashed vertically helps it to stretch horizontally. When it spans a gap it is no longer squashed vertically, so is less inclined to stretch horizontally without snapping.

Try honeycomb infill as that gives smaller gaps to span. Higher infill density will also help, but it could come down to the fact that you are trying to do too thin layers for the nozzle size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2011 05:27AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 19, 2011 01:10PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try honeycomb infill as that gives smaller gaps to
> span

How do I enable honeycomb infill in the reprap host?
July 19, 2011 01:46PM
I don't think you can, sorry I assumed you were using Skeinforge.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login