Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Arduino Firmware v1.2 Released

Posted by ZachHoeken 
Arduino Firmware v1.2 Released
February 21, 2008 09:57PM
Read the blog entry here: [blog.reprap.org]

discuss any bugs/issues in this thread, please.
emt
Re: Arduino Firmware v1.2 Released
March 03, 2008 10:11AM
Hi Zach

I have at last connected Z axis to the Arduino.

This has bought up a small issue.

The Drive requires the quiescent state to be HIGH going LOW to issue a pulse. This in itself is not a problem as I can edit RepStepper.cpp.
Unfortunately my X axis drive is in the other state i.e quiescent LOW going HIGH for a step. I could make a custom RepStepper.cpp and I will if necessary. However I might not be the only person in this position so perhaps at the least there could be a global setting to control polarity and ideally an individual axis setting for polarity on the lines of X_Polarity = 0 or 1.

Looking at Gcode_Interpreter.pde I see that this also defines machine parameters.

I wonder if there is a case for moving all these to a common file used by Gcode & Host?

Regards

Ian
March 03, 2008 04:56PM
it would require a pretty significant code rewrite to change that, but it is something i'd like to see.

it would be nice to remove the objects completely and be completely procedural, it just looks like a big challenge when i have everything working and would like to actually print stuff.

are you interested in taking a shot at it?
emt
March 04, 2008 02:46PM
Hi Zach

I realised the quickest solution was to do a hardware invert so it matches the existing firmware. Like you I am keen to get the thing working. Perhaps I will look at a common set up file if I really find G code is better than the normal host.

One thing I would like to see in the Host is a big button you can hit that will stop all current movements and kill any pending movements. Don't ask why but I am very glad my machine has steppers and not servos !!!!!!

Regards

Ian
March 04, 2008 03:48PM
I have an abort button on my machine to stop it dead because my host PC is the other side of the room. It stops the extruder, raises the head and stops talking to the host until I reset it, so the host times out and pending moves are ignored. A good idea if you have spare I/O pin. Otherwise switching the 12V off is a good second best.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
emt
March 05, 2008 07:19AM
Hi

I have the same situation with the PC some distance away from the machine that does have an Estop button. I was sitting at the PC when I initiated the crash (with stepper exerciser) and did not get to the machine panel in time. So an Estop or panic button on the screen might have saved me. If I understood Java and the Host commands I would have a go at adding a button myself.

Regards

Ian
March 09, 2008 08:21PM
yeah, i just kill the power. i wired up a simple light switch on my atx power supply's sense pin... the switch turns it on/off.

you're right though... an abort button would be nice. we'll put it on the list =)

technically, there is a 'cancel build' menu option, but its not very visible and doesnt take effect immediately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login