Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building Project using Windows

Posted by emt 
emt
Building Project using Windows
February 25, 2008 11:57AM
Hi

Can anyone point me to any documentation on using Eclipse on a Windows PC to build the rerap project.

The website seems to only have information on using Linux.

I seem to remember at one time there were some instructions on using Windows as well but it seems to have been removed.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
Re: Building Project using Windows
February 25, 2008 12:57PM
The docs are here: [reprap.org]

*edit* The Eclipse stuff isn't there, but that is Java software, so you can follow the Linux docs.

But I am home now, so I attached the .jar you need. It was made on OsX with jre 1.5.0, an old version of Java3d, and no working SNAP, so YMMV.

--Blerik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 12:59PM by blerik.
Attachments:
open | download - Reprap.jar (193.1 KB)
emt
February 26, 2008 05:39AM
Hi

Thanks Blerik

I have Eclipse installed in Windows and got the SVN working.

To start with I had about 600 errors but after sorting out the java3D and RTX libraries and getting them in the correct place I am down to 3 errors

STLLoader cannot be resolved to a type Reprap/src/org/reprap/gui

STLLoader cannot be resolved to a type Reprap/src/org/reprap/gui

The import org.j3d cannot be resolved Reprap/src/org/reprap/gui

Is this another library missing?

I also get 126 warnings, presumably these can be ignored.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 06:23AM
Hi Ian,

You can ignore the warnings. They are ugly, and shouldn't be there, but everything works fine.

The errors you get can be resolved by either copying the jar file in the reprap/lib directory to where you put the other jars, or modifying the build path in eclipse:

* right-click on JRE system library
* select build path, then modify
* click add external jar, and give the path to the jar in the reprap/lib directory
* click ok or finish or whatever it is called

I also attached a RepRap.jar file to my first message, in case you don't get it to work.

--Blerik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 06:24AM by blerik.
emt
February 26, 2008 12:08PM
Hi Blerik

Many thanks, I now get an error free build selecting Head Revision in SVN.

In the SVN how do you identify RepRap host 0.8.1.?

This all started so I could try your Gcodewriter so where do you place GCodeWriter.java so it is included in the build?

I kind of understand how a Digf file works. Is patch an executable and is it available in Windows?

Sorry for all these questions but Java and Eclipse are completely new to me and I am slowly working out what does what.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 26, 2008 05:36PM
It is here in subversion: [reprap.svn.sourceforge.net]

And it is on the downloads page here: [sourceforge.net]

*edit* I'll try and see if the diff applies cleanly to the trunk version. I cannot test it though, because of some osx related problems.

*edit again* You place the .java file in the src/org/reprap/machines directory. And you add the two lines to MachineFactory.java. I'll look into making a proper source release, when I have time.

--Blerik

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 05:41PM by blerik.
February 26, 2008 06:30PM
By the way, if you do have trouble running software under windows instead of linux, you could try [http://www.andlinux.org/]

It's a version of ubuntu compiled to run as a service under windows, and bundled with several other programs so that it uses windows as the windowing agent. Basically, you can run linux and windows simultaneously, with no vm or dual boot. You can even copy/paste between windows. It is a bit slow at times, but for the most part it works great, and is really easy to install.

One problem you might have, like I did, was that if you don't wait long enough for andLinux to start after rebooting your computer when the install finishes, it might return an error like "cannot connect to 192.168.11.150." Just wait longer and it should work fine.

-Samuel
Anonymous User
February 27, 2008 04:48AM
Ian,

The patch program for windows is here:

[gnuwin32.sourceforge.net]

--Blerik
emt
February 27, 2008 05:32AM
Many thanks for the help.

I have learned a lot the last couple of days.

I think I have done everything correctly but I now get build errors:-

The method setLowerShell(BranchGroup) in the type Previewer is not applicable for the arguments (Shape3D)
The method setMaterial(int, double, double) is undefined for the type Previewer
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.getExtruder(String)
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.getExtruders()
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.selectExtruder(Attributes)
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.selectExtruder(int)
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.setLowerShell(BranchGroup)
The type GCodeWriter must implement the inherited abstract method Printer.wipeNozzle()

I post them in case this is of interest. For the moment I will try the Reprap.jar that Blerik supplied as I must get back to the day job.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 27, 2008 05:38AM
Ian,

It seems you use a newer version of the host software than I. I haven't implemented the methods you get errors on because they don't exist yet. You can always donwload the 0.8.1 source zipfile from sourceforge, import it in Eclipse and include the GCodeWriter then. That is what I used as a source anyway.

Or test with RepRap.jar. I'll try and get a new version of that file posted later toady.

--Blerik
emt
February 27, 2008 07:12AM
Hi Blerik

I think I see where I went wrong.

Clicking the link on your post I got Revision 1369: /tags/host/0.8.1

Which I think is very the latest version and I checked that into Eclipse.

The O.8.1 fooled me.

What is the revision number of the version 0.8.1 you are using?

I will try importing the version 0.8.1.zip later when I figure out how to do it.

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 27, 2008 08:12AM
Ian,

You make a new project in Eclipse, and tell it to use another source directory. Then you give it the directory where you unzipped the 0.8.1 version. Change the buildpath to include the lib stuff, and you're done.

I'll try to get the head working on my Mac, then everybody can use that.

--Blerik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 08:19AM by blerik.
emt
February 28, 2008 08:25AM
Hi

Well I can now get an error free build using Eclipse with the older host and including the GcodeWriter. The very last thing I need to know is how to produce a Reprap.jar as an executable. I tried export guessing the options but I get a huge file compared to the Reprap.jar supplied in the host packages and of course it does not work. Can some one point me in the right direction? A screen shot of the Eclipse "Jar File specification" window with the correct items ticked would be brilliant (assuming that is how it is done).

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 28, 2008 09:34AM
Find build.xml in your Eclipse project browser on the left. Right-click and select the second Ant option. Select clean and jar as build flags (mind the ordering), and click ok.

--Blerik
emt
February 28, 2008 01:16PM
Hi

Many thanks once again, I can now create a working executable. All I have to do now is learn Java !!!!

I now have several reprap.jars on my PC.

Is it possible to add the version number somewhere so it appears on the top of the GUI?

Regards

Ian
Anonymous User
February 28, 2008 03:01PM
Try the search menu of Eclipse. Just type whatever there is at the top into it, and it'll tell you where it is in the code.

*edit* I should probably document the whole process and stick it on the Wiki.

--Blerik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2008 03:04PM by blerik.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login