January 03, 2009 01:48AM
Hi,

I'm Nate Mars
jupemars at hotmail dot com

Would you please create a forum for my balmy home town of
(Atlanta, Georgia, USA)?

Thanks,
Nate

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 03:54AM by SebastienBailard.
Re: Atlanta, GA group
March 29, 2009 03:52AM
Forum created. Good luck.

Don't forget to introduce yourself, and to post in it when you've hit a milestone or two.

-Sebastien

You may want to look up these resources and post the list online for your fellow local reprappers.
===========================================

* Nearest Neighboring RepRap User Groups

* Robot Hobby Clubs (including First Robotics Competitions)

* Geek Groups Meetups (keywords: artist-run center, artbot, barcamp, dorkbot, experimental media, ham radio, linux, arduino, blender, circuit bending, RC aircraft, rocketry, cnc, etc.)
This will require a few google searches, where you enter your town and one of the keywords above into the following string:
"Your Town" keyword (meetup OR meeting OR group OR club OR society OR workshop OR hobby)

* Local/Nearest FabLab?

* CNC Group Meetups on cnczone.com or otherwise

===
Local Shops may be better or worse than buying from online retailers. This depends on your local shops and what you're getting. Stepper motors you'll want to get online, steel rod - perhaps not. Fasteners, it depends. You may want to check your yellow pages to look these up, as opposed to online.

* Local Steel Suppliers

* Local Bearing Suppliers

* Local Fastener Suppliers

* Local Electronics Suppliers

* Local Machine Tool/Industrial Supply, (Occasionally unwelcome to hobbyists, but who knows?)

* Local Electronics Surplus Shop
You may want to check:
[www.repairfaq.org]

=============================================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2009 03:55AM by SebastienBailard.
November 09, 2009 07:04AM
Hello --

I'm Richard. We have a group at work in Marietta who'd like to build at least two machines. We're all mechanically capable -- there's a good bit of machine shop and fabrication experience within the group -- and some of us have programming skills. We're ready to buy as soon as parts are available.

We're also interested in 3-D imaging systems.
November 09, 2009 08:55AM
I hear tell that Freeside is working on a RepRap:
[blog.freesideatlanta.org]

I'm starting with a McWire myself...
December 10, 2009 06:30PM
I am interested. How do I contact someone locally? Are there regular User Group meetings? I am in Dalton.
January 29, 2010 02:18AM
Please see the new thread in this group covering a meetup on February 20.
April 24, 2010 11:55PM
Hi, I live in Woodstock. I'm a few weeks into slowly building a McWire printer. I have my lasercut acrylic, most of the parts, so far doing pretty well. I would appreciate a local contact for some general guidance / trade ideas with. I'm a software developer by trade, so I can probably help in that area once I get to it.

thanks,
-Anthony
May 10, 2010 06:18PM
I didn't want you to think you're being ignored; it just doesn't look like anyone in the area is building a McWire, so apparently there's not much local help around here for you.

I'm absolutely certain there are folks who can use your software expertise, so maybe you could just post whatever questions you have, and we'll see what we can do to gather answers.
July 31, 2010 12:52PM
Hello All,
I am Located in Marietta, Ga. Who else out there is build a Mendel in the Area? I'm about 75% done with my Mendel and just waiting the new Gen 4 electronics from makerbot & to custom design some thick sheets.

additional projects I am working on:

*Heated build bed for mendel

* Custom Made PCB mill

If you are interested in helping please email me @ robotguy at bellsouth dot net . I am looking for somebody to mill my Heated bed PCB locally. I will pay for all of the supplies for two Mendel heated build bed. One for me and the second one for you!

Also is anybody holding a meeting in the near future? I have tired to contact Freeside, but still no reply.

Thanks,
Mark F
2Robotguy
August 03, 2010 08:54AM
Hi Mark,

I am working on a Mendel as well and about 75% done. I am actually the person that you got in touch with at Freeside. Myself and another member replied to your email, but it must have been caught by a spam filter or something. I will attempt to email you again.

I am currently cutting my thick sheet parts on our home made CNC at Freeside. Initially I am going with a non-heated bed, but we are making new improvements to our CNC machine that should allow us to cut aluminium pretty soon. We would not mind cutting this for you.

I was thinking about organizing a reprap meetup at Freeside if anyone is interested. Maybe sometime later this month?

-Raiford
August 04, 2010 07:21PM
Raiford,
Ya Lets have a meeting in a couple of weeks. How about in two weeks?

Mark F
September 18, 2010 09:14AM
Hello folks!

I'm located in Athens, GA and am currently a graduate student in the art department at UGA. I'm planning on using my Mendel to make parts for artwork, mostly gears and other precision parts I cannot make by hand.

Currently I just finished getting all of my electronics together and tested. I went with the Arduino/ Pololu electronics and they seem to be working good in testing. There will a lot more tweaking once I actually gets all of the electronics and motors on the frame.

In the next week I'll begin putting together the rest of the printer. As soon as the laser cut parts I ordered are in I'll have everything to start assembling it all.

Also, check out my blog where I'll be posting updates of the build,
Steven A.

Amputee Parade - My Art and Reprap blog
April 22, 2015 08:59AM
Is there still an active Atlanta RepRap group out there??
April 24, 2015 09:54AM
Yes there is still active members in Atlanta. Check out [wiki.freesideatlanta.org] located on the southside of Atlanta.
April 30, 2015 10:17PM
Thanks 2robotguy. I am going out of town on Sunday for 2 weeks, but when I come back I will definitely come to an Open House - 2nd and 4th Tuesday!! I just bought a Printrbot Simple Metal kit. It is my first dabbling into 3D printing. Thanks.
September 16, 2015 08:22AM
If local folks would like a tour of our Hyrel 3D headquarters in Norcross, PM me and we can set up a field trip for you.

Even though our printers are not open source, we'd be happy to show you what we do and offer advice on challenges you may be dealing with.
March 21, 2016 10:15AM
Freeside Atlanta is doing an "Advanced 3d Printer workshop" 9 April 2016. Details are on their meetup site ( [www.meetup.com] ). I just got First Print on my Prusa Mendel I3 last week, so I'm definitely gonna be there.
August 02, 2016 02:40PM
I am trying to build a Eventorbot. I have the electronics ordered but I dont have a printer yet... Is there someone out there who will print the parts for me for the price of a spool of ABS or PLA?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login