Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cricut Automatic Paper Cutter - Hackable?

Posted by jcabrer 
wishing
Re: Cricut Automatic Paper Cutter - Hackable?
April 27, 2010 11:21PM
Monica Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The advantage to doing this, is that you never
> have to buy a cartridge again, and the software
> thinks that you did and lets you cut the designs
> out of Design Studio

Monica
Are you referring to the font metadata.xml in the user folder or the one in the main program folder? Does this really work?
Yes, please tell us!! Does this really work so we 'own' all the cricut cartridges? Give us the scoop & step by step instructions so we can enjoy! smiling smiley
Yes it works I just tried it. Here is what you have to do. Do this and ONLY this to the file!

1. Find the file CricutFontsMetadata.xml in C:\Program Files\Cricut Software\Cricut DesignStudio

2. Right click on the file and select Open With WordPad

3. Find and change False to True on these two lines ONLY!

OLD NEW
FalseTrueFalseTrue

4.Save the file (Do not change the name!)

5. Open Design Studio and Enjoy!
That did not show up right. step 3 should look like this.

OLD
< favorite > False < / favorite >

< owned > False < / owned >

NEW
< favorite > True < / favorite >

< owned > True < / owned >

No Spaces! I put those in to get it to show up correctly on here.
Ok one more update. You don't need to change favorite just owned to true and you have to do each one so the easy way to do this giant list is.

1. Click on the binoculars for the find function

2. type < owned > with out the spaces of course

3. make sure the cursor is at the top of the page

4. click Find Next

5. Change from False to True

6. repeat step 4 and 5 all the way to the bottom

7. save file and enjoy

Remember no spaces and only change the word False to the word True.
bug
May 02, 2010 02:14AM
thanks forfree! I was tooling around in that file the other day and thought...it couldn't be that easy!!!! haha.

can't wait until I can get to this "project". Thanks for the great tip on getting through all the files more quickly with the binocular/search funtion.

do you need to have a cartridge in the machine for this to work? any, or the one cart that came with the machine? jukebox?

TIA, bug
wishing
May 02, 2010 02:10PM
I must be doing something wrong. I followed ForFree's directions, but I still get error messages about not finding the cartridge and it won't cut. I have tried it with and without a cartridge in the machine.
What am I doing wrong?
bug
May 02, 2010 02:45PM
same here wishing! changed it all to true, and it still won't cut. i even tried with the juke box, the carts that came with my machine, still nothing. hate it when it doesn't work out right...off to keep trying. hope someone comes back to help us out. will post if i find out any info.
Guys, I'm afraid that the changes to the XML file only affect what shows in the drop down lists for Design Stuido. Owned affect the list when you choose "My Cartridges" and "Favorites" affects the list when you choose "Favorites" from the drop down list. DS still checks to see if that cart is in.
ner dunna work for me either
May 05, 2010 12:01PM
This thread seems less about 3d printing and more about helping scrapbookers with zero interest in 3d printing to pirate fonts.

Our forum has obviously been linked to by some of the scrapbooker sites, just look at the page views.

Mods?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 12:02PM by plasmator.
wishing
May 05, 2010 01:59PM
Horrorcat
The only thing I can tell the xml file changes is the listings in "My Cartridges".
There was at one time a post in this forum about PTC checkload.
wishing
May 06, 2010 03:07AM
Horrorcat

I don't know anything more about the PTC checkload except it is a line in Design Studio.exe. I have not been able to figure it out.

Sorry
May 07, 2010 08:27AM
Sebastian,

Given the enthusiasm of this thread, you may want to consider creating a new forum under the "Machine Variations", for adapting or hacking existing commercial machines into a RepRap or RepStrap.

This thread isn't entirely about RepRap, but it does seem it may generate useful information for people who may have more RepRap specific questions or ideas, relating to hacking a Cricut to create a RepRap like robotic structure.

Thanks.
May 07, 2010 06:46PM
Mods...please???
May 07, 2010 09:51PM
This thread seems less about 3d printing and more about helping scrapbookers with zero interest in 3d printing to pirate fonts.

Our forum has obviously been linked to by some of the scrapbooker sites, just look at the page views.

Mods?

This thread is welcome here although I'm moving it to the replab / fablab forum, because eventually someone will fabricate a reprap-toolchain-compatible vinyl cutting head (out of abs, brass, steel, parmesan, etc) and upload the files and images into the wiki.

Horrorcat, I've used my moderator-powers to 'hide' most of your repeated posts requesting assistance. People are generally more willing to help when we ask politely and with respect.
[reprap.org]
You're welcome to argue with me at length about this either via a direct email or in this forum, but people will be increasingly less willing to chip in and help. smiling smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
HORRORCAT
May 08, 2010 07:36AM
I have better thingsss to do than to ague with you....Like i said before...I am NOT MAD at anybody here..i guess you guys CANNOT read at all..and you guys critisized people to much...Oh well ...This time the better person wins...GOD knows that already...LOL

CHOW!! If you want to argue with me you know were to find me...hahaha>grinning smiley<
Anyone had luck unlocking the cartridges?.

I just did what the instructions said and my cricut refuses to cut from them... it keeps looking for the other cartridges.
I know several have said they have changed the xml from false to true, and it does actually show you "own" the cartridges but the machine will still ask for the cartridge so I would say that changing the xml file is not going to work.

I also saw this posted "CDS is a .NET program. The best tool for that is called Reflector. Normally it just lets you see the code to see if there is some issue, but with an add-on called Reflexil, you can modify the code" can't make any sense out of that one. And I also read about OllyDbg, but it is way over my head

I am sure that if this has been done by anyone they will not share how they have done it. And as many people have read this post (over 40,000!) I am just about willing to bet it hasn't been done, but we can keep hoping. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And if someone has succeeded.....here's to ya. smileys with beer
HORROECAT
May 13, 2010 07:44AM
Thank youuu noneuhya!! I could NOT have said it better..LOL..Still trying My hubby has a friend who is a TOTAL WHIZ in computers... so when i have a chance i will ask him it makes any sense to him....CROSS YOUR FINGERSSSSsmiling bouncing smiley
wishing
May 24, 2010 02:01PM
Has anyone found the answer?
This is annoying, all I want to do is to be able to cut my own logo out on the cricut cake on fonfant but from what I read it looks like there is no such way? So I guess this is only for people with no creativity and who like being corporate slaves? Ludicrous I tell you!!
noneuhya
May 30, 2010 05:34PM
Nene...not quiet sure what you are upset about. You can purchase Sure Cuts A lot or Make the Cut and make your own designs. If you are in any way computer literate all you need to do is trace your logo into either one of the programs...or Inkscape then cut with your cricut cake on the fondant.
I changed all the false to true and nothing happened. I looked in my owned and my favorite and there is nothing. What did i do wrong?
Darlene, you didn't do anything "wrong". It doesn't work, there is no known fix posted.
Just was wondering how to make use the make the cut work with my cricut. I have tried using it several times with no luck. I bought the Cricut, then recently saw Make the Cut so I purchased it and still can't get it to work. I also haven't been able to update my fonts or firmware, but if my cricut is connected to my computer and using design studio it will cut stuff I create with the cartridges I own only.

if anyone can help with any of these probably dumb questions, I would be really pleased. I am about to just give up on this.
noneuhya
June 23, 2010 07:54PM
Terry, Make the cut has a forum with tons of tutorials and webinars to help you with learning that software.

You can get to it from the Make the cut website.

HTH
N
Hi Guys, I just found your forum...Okay I have another type of cutting machine, I've seen the Cricut cartridges and i really like them. I have SCAL as well as Inkscape, I was wondering if there would be a way for me to download the images from the cartridges to my pc, so that I can convert them to be cut with my electronic cutter?
So I am def not nearly as advanced as the majority of ppl on this thread (not even sure that's the right word!). However, I am smart enough to know I don't want to pay all that $$$ for each cricut cartridge. So if anyone has a way to access the "information" on the gypsy w/out having to link cartridges or can get the cricut to "work" w/out the cartridges i would def be interested! Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login