Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plasma Cutting

Posted by aka47 
Plasma Cutting
December 08, 2007 05:08AM
Dumb ass question time, (Sorry)

I have a tig welding machine with hf start.

I have studied the specs for plasma cutters and tig machines and they look so similar (Apart from the torch) notable exceptions are the initial open circuit voltage looks to be lower on a tig machine.

Is it possible to swap the tig torch for a plasma cutter torch, couple up a compressed air feed and use the tig machine to plasma cut ??

I can's see a reason why not, that isn't to say that I actually really know what I am doing with welding though, just learning.

Can anybody help with this and an explanation ????

I realise this is'nt a welding forum, I am though contemplating adding a plasma cutting head to my Tool Head wish list posted on the mendel wana have forum.

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
VDX
Re: Plasma Cutting
December 11, 2007 11:47AM
Hi Andy,

... i recently made some experiments with a micro-WIG-plasma-system (WIG = TIG) for welding small steel-parts with 0,1 mm accuracies and lower ...

The particular system ( [www.mig-o-mat.com] ) is capable of plasma-cutting too, but it's much more injected energy and spot-size, as i imagined by 'micro-plasma-welding'!

So we stay at laser-welding for our parts ...

Viktor

Edit:
for micro-gas-cutting look at: [www.mig-o-mat.com]

and samples: [www.mig-o-mat.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 11:56AM by Viktor Dirks.
December 13, 2007 06:39AM
I know nothing about this subject.

Reading the wikipedia entry on plasma torches,
[en.wikipedia.org]
it says that they start up their plasma using a high voltage spark. (The implication being that it drops down to a lower voltage afterwards, when it only needs to maintain the plasma?)

If your TIG can't start that plasma though, I imagine it's not going to work, sort of like a fluorescent light that can't start.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Try asking here:
[www.practicalmachinist.com]
and here:
[www.cnczone.com]

You may want to upgrade to one of those multipurpose plasma + tig welder machines, but I'd see what plasma cutters other CNC builders have used.
February 04, 2009 01:59PM
HELP i want to put a MAX 200 to a Corta Arc. and ai need information about plasma conection. Have somenbody do sameting like that?
Please response
TK
September 16, 2010 05:38AM
I supply waterjet cutting machine from China with high quality and competitive price , if you're looking for it pls feel free to contact me directly at kelvinguo@syfos.com for further information.
May 23, 2011 05:27AM
[cgi.ebay.de]

Sounds like a reasonable price and not that difficult to operate.
Any thoughts on this?

-------------------------------------------
* homeprototype free 3d design repository
* Blog
* Google+
February 10, 2012 05:38AM
MarcusWolschon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [cgi.ebay.de]
> 230624572317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
>
> Sounds like a reasonable price and not that
> difficult to operate.
> Any thoughts on this?

It's good and especially at that price.

Kerf
February 21, 2012 02:05PM
this link may help you what you want to know...

one of the best Cricut Accessories
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login