Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Next Melbourne Meetup

Posted by Dragonbane 
Next Melbourne Meetup
October 20, 2011 11:13PM
Hey Guys,

I have been lurking around here for a little while on and off. Just as a bit of background, I'm in the middle of a build of a Prusa with the main frame nearing completion. Electronics are next along with the extruder.

Just wondering if this forum is where all of the updates for the Melbourne meetup are posted or is there a mailing list you guys maintain? I would like to attend if possible to gather a little more information about what I'm doing and some of the pitfalls that await me. grinning smiley

Cheers,

Adam.
Re: Next Melbourne Meetup
October 21, 2011 01:59AM
You're in the right place, meet-ups are typically discussed and announced on this forum. In the past Cefiar has usually been the one to organize and host them but we've outgrown his garage so there's been talk about hiring a venue for the next one.

Welcome to RepRap btw. Fair warning, it can turn into a bit of an obsession if you're not careful grinning smiley
October 21, 2011 09:11AM
I've been thinking about another meetup but I was hoping that the venue issue would be solved by CCHS finding a location.

They found a suitable site, but the deal fell through (the owner leased out the place to the company next door). Pity as it was about 100sqm, which would have been plenty.

Will see what I can come up with for a venue. Admittedly it is coming around to summer now, so it's even possible I could hold it at my place if I put a big enough tarp over some part of the back yard. winking smiley

PS: If you know of a free/very cheap venue somewhere between the CBD and 10km on the East or South East side of Melb that would be willing to host such a meetup (usually midday till 5pm), PM me with details.

PPS: We would probably require 40sqm or more of space if we get a similar turnout to last time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 09:12AM by Cefiar.
November 23, 2011 09:42AM
how about contacting melbourne PC User Group. They have rooms and might be interested to host or even hire
December 16, 2011 08:19AM
Are there any meets on the North side of Melbourne?
are there any people on the North side that would want to meet?
and what sort of money is reasonable to pay for the venue?
December 16, 2011 10:49PM
Sorry I haven't posted on this lately, but been very busy.

I'm hoping to have a meetup either at the end of Jan or start of Feb with any luck.

Of note: CCHS (Melb Hackerspace) is *fingers crossed* about to sign a lease on a place in Hawthorn that we could hold regular (monthly?) meets at.

I'll let you know more when I do.

Also of note:
Melbourne Mini Makerfaire - Jan 14th (Saturday) @ Swinburne Tafe

Unfortunately, I can't commit to that day (yet - may be on the way to Ballarat for LCA), but I am thinking that perhaps we could have a Melb RepRap User Group table with a bunch of people and their machines? Anyone interested?
December 17, 2011 05:16AM
We're going to be in Melbourne for the Maker Faire (it coincides with DrupalCon) before we head to Ballarat for LCA.

I'd be available for staffing a table at the Faire, at least part-time (I want to explore the rest of the Faire too, of course)

J.
February 02, 2012 07:31AM
Cefiar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm hoping to have a meetup either at the end of
> Jan or start of Feb with any luck.

Any luck?
Nas
February 08, 2012 04:37AM
Hey guys,

I'm just starting to dip my toes into the whole reprap community (this is my first post) and was looking for a meetup or something where I could pick the brains of the more experienced.

I was just thinking though, it is possible that if you contact a relevant university club or faculty such as:
[www.mucsa.org]

They may be able to organise a regular meeting venue. You guys would probably get a decent crowd turning up if you run it on campus as well. I've organised public events with other clubs I'm involved with and can enquire with the IT faculty or somewhere else when I get back to uni if you would like.
February 09, 2012 07:41AM
Hi all,

Been watching the progress of the project for a couple years now and decided it's at a good point to now get my but into gear and build.

Have all my required parts on the way.

Would love to attend a Meetup.

Hello Scorpia when you read this.

cheers
Mick
March 19, 2012 08:44PM
HI all,

Sorry, took a bit of leave of absence from the forums. Needed a break.

CCHS now have a place in Hawthorn near Swinburne. The CCHS members have been putting a lot of effort into getting the place into a usable state. It's basically a large garage workshop with a small room on the end.

We're hoping to be able to do things there after Easter. One of those things will be another 3D printing meet-up.

Keep an eye out here, as when it's all sorted I'll announce something in this forum.

Note: We'll probably ask for a 'gold coin donation' on the day to go to CCHS, to help towards rent/electricity.
March 21, 2012 05:34AM
3D printing meets sounds great smiling smiley
March 31, 2012 10:05PM
Hi,

I have almost finished my Prusa (except for thermistor on heated bed) with some preliminary motor checks.
I would very interested in attending a meeting in Melbourne,
My interest at the momemt is software and also getting ideas on some things which I think might be a bit dodgy on my build.
May 14, 2012 10:39PM
Ok. so still waiting on stupid council stuff so we can have a fully fledged 3D printer day.

That said, we're running regular CCHS 3D printer nights. You need to join the CCHS mailing list (Google Group) and also request the address (see the CCHS meeting page for details - once again, stupid council crap), but they're open if you have a printer or not. Announcements will go out on the CCHS list (as it's a CCHS event).

Next one is currently planned for Monday the 28th of May (this may change).

FWIW: We had the first meetup last night. Had 12 people with 9 printers in varying states of operation. 2 Makerbots amongst them, and one huge Alu extrusion homebrew thing that looked a bit like an Up! in appearance. Got my printer back to working condition (after a recent extruder/hot-end rebuild) and also helped someone get their printer to complete it's first successful print.

Note: When requesting the address for CCHS, remember that you're asking a human for the details. Please and thank you are nice, plus it's useful to mention a little bit about yourself and what you're interested in finding out. This allows people to give you not only the right info, but to make sure you see the right people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2012 08:49PM by Cefiar.
May 15, 2012 01:09AM
Awesome! I'm only n00b, but I'll definatley be there on the 28th (if it IS the 28th) to see the coolness in action!
May 17, 2012 04:10AM
> nights. You need to join the CCHS mailing list
> (Google Group) and also request the address (see
> the CCHS meeting page for details -

I tried sending a message to the address mentioned on the page to get the address with no response. Who else can I contact ?
May 17, 2012 08:21AM
Covert: Sent you a PM with my contact details.

Note to all: The next CCHS 3D printer night is set for Monday the 28th of May. Please note that if you've been to the old location in Camberwell, we are not there anymore, so turning up there wouldn't be useful to anyone.

If you need details, feel free to PM me, and I'll organise something.
June 14, 2012 08:08PM
+1 for the next Melbourne meetup

I'm almost finished a Linear Prusa build, just ordered some filament from Bilby & Lybina

Cef I remember you from the HRC glory days, will be good to catch up sometime
June 14, 2012 10:02PM
We're having another 3D Printer night at CCHS (Connected Community Hacker Space).

Date: Monday 18th June, 6pm open - 10pm close

To keep up with CCHS events, you need to join the CCHS mailing list (Google Group).

If you want to attend the 3D Printer night (or any CCHS meeting), you need to request the address via email (see the CCHS page for details). When requesting the address for CCHS, remember that you're asking a human for the details, so a response might take a day or two. Please and thank you are nice, plus it's useful to mention a little bit about yourself and what you're interested in finding out. This allows people to give you not only the right info, but to make sure you see the right people.

The 3D Printer nights are open if you have a printer or not. Future announcements will go out on the CCHS list (as it's a CCHS event).

Notes:
Yes the normal website is down. We've working on it. In the meantime we have a place-holder site with basic info that will get you where you need to be.
Part of the night will be building a few RAMPS v1.4 boards that we have all the parts for, as planning for a proper build day to make the lot (~20 boards).
June 15, 2012 07:49PM
HI..

I still think you should announce any meeting here and not soley on the CCHS google list. As this fourm in the first place most people look for info on 3D printers.

Auzze
June 15, 2012 08:42PM
I agree with Auzze, I don't look at google list. This is the only forum I check for what's happening locally
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login