Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bearing and Rod lubrication

Posted by bmsweb 
Bearing and Rod lubrication
January 31, 2012 02:26AM
Just wondering what people are using? Any thoughts as to whats the best?
Re: Bearing and Rod lubrication
February 01, 2012 11:54PM
The RepRap site suggests silicon grease because it doesn't eat through plastic, I found some at the Rolling Bearings Company in Braeside although at $40 it was a bit pricey. I think I saw some other silicon based lubricants in Bunnings that were a lot cheaper. Silicon spray supposedly works fine too, you can find that as petrol stations and any shops that sell auto-transmission gear (it's used on things like gaskets).
February 02, 2012 05:26AM
Thanks for the information. That helps a lot. Will do some searching tomorrow smiling smiley
February 04, 2012 02:07AM
HI..

I think supercheap sell some for about $20.00

Auzze
February 15, 2012 09:19PM
I'm currently using WD40 on a Wallace build and so far it seems to be working well. I tried soaking both ABS and PLA filament in it for a few days, as far as I can tell it doesn't affect them at all. What it does do well is help prevent rust which is a problem I recently experienced with my Mendel (had to remove all bars, scrub off a very thin layer of rust with hot water, WD40 and soap then sand, polish and grease them up again).
February 17, 2012 09:16AM
If you want lubricating oil then try Tri-Flow. It is very good and I have used it for years servicing old printers and other machines. You get it from bike shops at around $15. (It is good for bikes too smiling smiley )

Cheers
IceMan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login