Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printrboard - Anyone using these or know much about them?

Posted by bmsweb 
Printrboard - Anyone using these or know much about them?
April 09, 2012 06:32PM
I'm in the process of building Printer number 3 now. My other 2 printers us the Sanguinololu boards which I'm pretty happy with. In any case the person I purchase my last boards from is now producing the Printrboard which I'm considering. In any case if anyone has any words of wisdom they can share it would be much appreciated.
Re: Printrboard - Anyone using these or know much about them?
April 10, 2012 07:14AM
I like the idea, but after killing one of my allegro '88 drivers after a heatsink mishap, I am hesitant to chose a solution with embedded drivers, for some minor cost savings. That being said, what price do you expect to get them each for, including shipping? Perhaps the savings are larger than I think.
April 10, 2012 07:37AM
Well my two Sanguinololu boards have been fantastic. One has done at least 24 rolls of PLA (100m each roll) plus a few rolls of ABS. I believe the price will be $139USD plus what ever postage is. For the Sanguinololu boards I paid around $20
April 11, 2012 08:21AM
My ramps 1.4 was only $170 posted

So cutting it close, sounds like it will depend on the shipping costs. Then you have to consider firmware support etc...
But it could be better as it has the USB interface built in, but that and the smaller size are the only positives I can see.

4x:
[www.ebay.com.au]
1x:
[www.ebay.com.au]
1x:
[www.ebay.com.au]
1x:
[www.ebay.com.au]
April 11, 2012 08:31AM
Funny because I've never actually tried Ramps. I'll have to make a decision soon smiling smiley
April 12, 2012 12:47PM
bmsweb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm in the process of building Printer number 3
> now. My other 2 printers us the Sanguinololu
> boards which I'm pretty happy with. In any case
> the person I purchase my last boards from is now
> producing the Printrboard which I'm considering.
> In any case if anyone has any words of wisdom they
> can share it would be much appreciated.

which person is that? im looking for alternate sources for a printrboard.
April 12, 2012 03:48PM
Its [www.reprap-usa.com] he also sell parts on ebay
April 12, 2012 04:50PM
bmsweb Wrote:
> Its [www.reprap-usa.com] he also sell parts
> on ebay

oh, thats what i thought. i know the electronics are pretty cheap but im trying to find a bare pcb to make them even cheaper. no luck yet. whats his ebay handle?
April 15, 2012 04:54PM
The seller is three3three3, but none listed as yet on his ebay account. Have you used the Printrboard? and if you don't mind me asking why are you going for this board ?
April 16, 2012 01:34PM
bmsweb Wrote:
> Its [www.reprap-usa.com] he also sell parts
> on ebay

thanks. i havent used it yet but the main reasons im going for it is cost and ease of use. its cheaper than most ive seen and its an all-in-one board. ive also read that its more reliable, due to integrated drivers.
April 17, 2012 12:03AM
Well mine is on its way I'll let you know how it goes!
April 26, 2012 01:07PM
The new Printrboard is installed and running on a Prusa, replacing a Gen6 board. Just printed a respectable 20mm cube in ABS with the bed heated to 100C - all under Printrboard control. Works fine (so far) - and the bed turned off at the end of the print just like I wanted it to. (To do that, I added M140 S0 to the Gcode that runs at the end of printing.)

Marlin firmware is installed as described by lincomatic here: lincomatic blog

I used FLIP from Atmel as described on the Printrboard Reprap Site to load Marlin.

Other than fixing motor directions, calibration, end stop sense, etc., the only real problem I had was that Printrboard would hang on booting if the Y-axis was homed. I believe this is due to the fact that Printrboard uses the /SS pin to read the Y end stop. If SDCard use is enabled and this pin is asserted, then the SPI port will not be readable and the initial SD read will hang - at least I think that's what's happening. So I moved the Y end stop to the pin for the E stop (which is not enabled by default). Doing this solved the problem with hanging on reset and the board works fine.
April 26, 2012 03:43PM
Thanks for the info, I'm still in the process of building my new printer. In fact I only just finished printing off the PLA Mount for the Printrboard. I'm still probably a day or so away from wiring and then playing with firmware calibration . . should be interesting to see how it all goes!

Great to hear someone is using this new board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login