Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CCHS 3D Printer nights - Now 1st & 3rd Monday of the month

Posted by Cefiar 
CCHS 3D Printer nights - Now 1st & 3rd Monday of the month
June 28, 2012 05:20AM
We're now holding regular 3D Printer nights at CCHS (Connected Community Hacker Space).

Meetings are usually held on the first and third Monday of every month unless otherwise noted (eg: public holidays, etc).

Next Meeting: Monday 2nd July, 6pm open - 10pm close

To keep up with CCHS events, it's advisable to join the CCHS mailing list (Google Group).

If you want to attend the 3D Printer night (or any CCHS meeting), you need to request the address via email (see the CCHS page for details). When requesting the address for CCHS, remember that you're asking a human for the details, so ask in advance of the day as the response might take a day or two. In the email, remember that please and thank you are always nice pleasantries to use, plus it's useful to mention a little bit about yourself and what you're interested in finding out. This allows people to give you not only the right info, but to make sure you see the right people.

The 3D Printer nights are open if you have a printer or not.

Notes:
While I will try and remember to post regular updates here, I can't guarantee that will always be the case. If you're interested in coming along regularly, it's probably best to join the CCHS mailing list, or check on the CCHS website regularly for details.
Re: CCHS 3D Printer nights - Now 1st & 3rd Monday of the month
July 14, 2012 01:27AM
Update:

Next Meeting: Monday 16th July, 6pm open - 10pm close
July 20, 2012 12:33AM
Update:

Next Meeting: Monday 6th August, 6pm open - 10pm close

Some of the 3D printers there on the night of the 16th July (didn't get a pic of them all):

Hoping to have a proper weekend public event at some stage, most likely on a Sunday. Will let people know well in advance.
July 21, 2012 01:39AM
what actually happens on a 3d printer night.

By August 6 I may even have the majority of pieces of my ordbot Hadron, and may be at a point in the build where I am looking for a little assistance.

GaZ
July 21, 2012 04:12AM
Basically it's to see what others are doing, bounce ideas off people, seek assistance if you've got problems, talk about designing objects, etc.

We've also got a bunch of bare RAMPS 1.4 boards and all the parts that people can buy and assemble (either at the hackerspace or at home if they have the skills and tools).

examples:
    I have an original Sells Mendel and the X belt stretched (common issue with the default design). Some of the people in the group helped me identify the problem and one of those people has since printed me a different set of X axis parts so I can get my printer back to operational status.
    Someone with a new printer was having huge issues with extrusion. Turned out his problem was to do with the plastic he had bought. Tried with some different plastic and he managed to get a decent looking first print on the night.
July 30, 2012 06:40PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 6th August, 6pm open - 10pm close

Come along and feel free to discuss print issues, slicing software, plastic, hot ends, etc.

Note: While the venue is effectively a garage (we suggest people dress to stay warm), we have a jet-fire LPG gas heater we use to keep the place tolerable on a cold night, and try and keep the roller door shut.
August 15, 2012 07:08PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 20th August, 6pm open - 10pm close

Come along and feel free to discuss print issues, slicing software, plastic, hot ends, etc. Printers welcome but not necessary.

Note: While the venue is effectively a garage (we suggest people dress to stay warm), we have a jet-fire LPG gas heater we use to keep the place tolerable on a cold night, and try and keep the roller door shut.
August 23, 2012 08:25PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 3rd September, 6pm open - 10pm close

We had a lot of people last meeting, and the guy with the Mendel Max should hopefully have it fully operating by then so everyone can see what all the fuss is about.

Also we finally got the the electronics back for the CCHS Laser Cutter, so we might be able to start using it soon.
September 10, 2012 07:07PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 17th September, 6pm open - 10pm close

As the weather is getting warmer, there is less need for the heater, so we'll be relying on it less and less.
September 26, 2012 07:09PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 1st October, 6pm open - 10pm close

Yup, it's that time again! We've getting a fair amount of people turning up now, which is good. From old regulars to lots of new people.

Also thinking of running a quick tutorial in the future on designing your own parts, specifically concentrating on designing parts for FFF/FDM processes (such as avoiding large bridges, reasonable overhangs, etc).
October 11, 2012 03:52AM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 15th October, 6pm open - 10pm close

Lots of good stuff happening. Come along and feel free to discuss print issues, slicing software, design, plastic, hot ends, etc. Printers welcome but not necessary.
October 15, 2012 10:52PM
Hi Guys,

How can I join the mailing group. If you can let me know the location and time of next meeting I am happy to join and share my progress in 3D printing

Dinesh
October 16, 2012 12:35AM
The mailing list is hosted at Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/?#!forum/connected-community-hackerspace

You should be able to subscribe using any email address. I try and post notifications for 3D printing about 3-4 days before the event, so people have time to get themselves sorted.

We also post meeting notifications around 24 hrs before a meeting, as a reminder, on the HackMelbourne twitter feed: @HackMelbourne

The twitter feed also gets pics taken at various CCHS meetings, and the occasional retweet of HackerSpace related stuff, so it's not just meeting reminders.

We also have a Google Calendar of meetings that you can subscribe to: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=4a2abaaogcmhaergtksudri7f0%40group.calendar.google.com

Notes:
We currently do not have the address of the hackerspace listed in public (we're waiting on final council approval stuff to do with proper meetings), so to get the address you need to follow the details as per the Location section of the website: http://www.hackmelbourne.org/about-cchs/location/
Next 3D Printing meeting is set for November 5th (day before Melbourne Cup Day), so pencil it in now!
October 16, 2012 08:18PM
Thanks for the response. I have joined the group. Cant wait to see Melbourne RepRappers....smileys with beer
October 29, 2012 07:06PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 5th Novembe (day before Cup Day), 6pm open - 10pm close

Looks like someone will be opening the space up early that day (from 10AM), but at this stage I can't guarantee that I'll be there. That said, this means if you've got time off on Monday, you can come along early! Great time to come along if you have the time off and are going to be travelling a fair distance, as you can make the most of it!

Note: If you've been a few times, we encourage people to become members of CCHS. The fees can be seen here: [www.hackmelbourne.org]
October 30, 2012 01:25AM
Ill be bringing my printer along this time, getting some good prints.

so anyone who wanted to see an ordbot hadron in action your more then welcome.

GaZ
October 30, 2012 05:26PM
gazob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ill be bringing my printer along this time,
> getting some good prints.
>
> so anyone who wanted to see an ordbot hadron in
> action your more then welcome.
>
> GaZ

It would be very nice to see your printer. I will try to bring mine as well but, more to understand whats wrong with it confused smiley
November 17, 2012 06:45PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 19th November, 6pm open - 10pm close

Sorry about the late notice on here, I've been a bit busy with work and I missed posting an announcement here.

We've got someone bringing along a Kinect and they will show off some software to do object scanning. We'll also have lots of people with printers as usual. Sounds like a number of people will need a helping hand to get their printers up and running, so hopefully we'll have even more machines running soon!
November 30, 2012 08:41PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday3rd December, 6pm open - 10pm close

We're getting quite a lot of people with new machines that are close to completion, so soon we'll have a lot more people printing.

Should hopefully have some wood filament for people to have a look at as well.
December 12, 2012 06:04PM
Reminder:

Next Meeting: Monday 17th December, 6pm open, 10pm close.

Last one of the year!

I will only be there for a part of the night, but rest assured there will others there to help.

Also: Since we finally got council approval, we no longer need to "give" people the address in private!

So for the location details check out: [www.hackmelbourne.org]

Also we're trialling using Meetup.com for all the CCHS events, so if you are already using Meetup and want to say you're coming go to: [www.meetup.com]
January 04, 2013 07:43AM
Next Meeting: Monday 7th January, 6pm open, 10pm close.

First one for 2013!

Got something new for Christmas? Having issues after fiddling with your machine over the holidays? Just generally need some help with 3D printing? Want to meet other like-minded people? That's what 3D Printer nights are all about, and more besides!

Details (including address) are up on Meetup: [www.meetup.com]
Hi, im wanting to get my company logo 3d printed (I will also need it converted from a 2d image to 3d - the logo can be seen at www.esidirect.com.au)

If anyone offers this service, please email me at tomas.acton@lh.com.au for details.
February 16, 2013 02:59AM
Next Meeting: Monday 17th Feb, 6pm open, 10pm close.

Been busy lately so I haven't gotten around to posting about it here.

We're also on Meetup, so if you're coming it'd be nice for people to register that they're coming along there: [www.meetup.com]
Hello, I'm a graphic designer and I'm looking to print a prototype of a consumer product. I have the CAD files and just looking for someone with a 3d printer as the prices out there are very expensive, I'm still happy to pay an amount that is reasonable. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login