Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blue tape in Adelaide

Posted by jakjak444 
Blue tape in Adelaide
April 17, 2013 05:42AM
Hey guys,

I have my 3d printer up and running, and have been printing successfully on normal masking tape for a while.

I have recently bought some repraper pla and have had problems with it sticking.

I have tried normal masking tape, scotch blue 2093 and bear blue masking tape.

It doesn't appear to be possible to buy scotch 2090 tape in Adelaide, except in really small widths at bunnings, does anyone know any where that sells it, or do you have any other tips?

Jack
Re: Blue tape in Adelaide
April 17, 2013 08:51AM
The widest I've seen in Aus the 3M 2093 Scotch edgelock is 2 inches (~5cm), which was purchased from Bunnings.

This works out to about 4 widths across a standard 200mm wide bed.

I've got a roll of 4 inch (~10cm) 3M 2090 Scotch stuff that someone bought in from the US, but it's nowhere near as good. Plastic doesn't stick to the surface anywhere near as good as to the 2093.
April 17, 2013 09:14AM
Hi..

try using glass and PVA glue watered down to 20:1 with water.

Auzze
April 19, 2013 06:03AM
Hi Auzze

I shall try that (:

and Cefiar, I bought some of the 2093 and can not get my pla to stick to it at all.

Jack
April 20, 2013 03:44AM
PVA glue with 70% metho works much better, dries quicker and makes a nice syrupy adhesive that can be applied lightly with your fingers.
If you put on too much the printed part can be hard to remove, so I put in a bucket of water for a few minutes and it comes off easy.
April 20, 2013 10:19PM
Hi JakJak444

I could only purchase wide scotch blue on ebay in the US (6inch , 150mm wide)

jhar9910 was the seller they have a ebay store [stores.ebay.com.au]

I have attached a picture in the file and pricing below.
I was able to purchase 2 rolls for around $50 and the shipping was combined once off cost of around $40
Hope this helps

Cheers

ADD Details Below

ScotchBlue 6 INCH x 60YD Painters Masking Tape Great for 3D Printing Printers
Item condition: Brand New
Quantity:
More than 10 available / 9 sold
Price: US $50.00
Approximately AU $48.52

Postage: US $37.99(approx. AU $36.87) - International Priority Shipping to Australiahelp icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer

Copy of Add discription

3M Scotchblue 2090 Painter's Tape: 6in x 60yard - Single Roll
(3in wide tape rolls are available at most places,
but 6in wide rolls are only available HERE!)

Very useful for those with 3D Printers

Scotchblue 2090 Tape has the perfect surface to print on.
It is just sticky enough for the plastic to stick during printing.
After printing your 3D part on this Painter's Tape, you can just peel the part off with relative ease.

This is the same kind of tape that is included with Makerbot's Replicator 2 Printer.
Great for any printer with a 3-6in wide printing bed.

Also useful for painting projects.

Support a Veteran Owned Small Business by buying from this listing.
Ships fast, and International shipping available.

If you wish to make large purchase, please message me for discount options.

Thank You,
Have a Great Day.
April 24, 2013 08:42AM
So it turns out that 2093 works great once you give it a wipe with some metho, prints turning out great now (:

PLA and water worked ok, but im extremely happy with the blue tape now so im going to stick with that.

Thanks guys
April 24, 2013 08:07PM
FWIW: The main thing I notice with Blue tape is that it tends to absorb skin oil, which stops PLA adhering very well. So yes, cleaning with Metho probably breaks that down (at least from the surface where it matters) so it can adhere.
March 13, 2014 03:46AM
Try our printed tapes. You will not encounter any problem with it.
October 02, 2014 01:03AM
Are you using a heated bed?
If so, why use blue tape or any other tape in fact?

I find that the very best and cheapest method is to use sugar mixed with a bit of water.
Make a syrup of the sugar and water and spread a very small amount over the glass bed, and let it dry (I turn on the heated bed to 70C and it dries quite quickly.)

Do your print as normal and it will sure stick down well printing at 70C for PLA. After print has finished, leave the bed to cool down and the print will fall off by itself.
I have a few glass plates ready so I can just change the plates over to continue printing while the first one cools down.
Don't try and take the print off while it is hot, it will be very hard to get off and you may break something.

I stopped using tapes, PVA glue, Paper glue sticks and hairsprays after trying this sugar method. It is the best I have found.

BTW: I am in South Australia too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2014 01:04AM by regpye.

[regpye.com.au]
"Experience is the mother of all knowledge." --Leonardo da Vinci
February 19, 2015 08:09AM
hi i am using normal hairspray on my glass bed for both abs and pla .note that i am using a heated bed ,works like a dream.i am from south africa
December 26, 2015 05:43PM
I used 2093 but it's sticking very well.....and I need to scrap the bottom part of the printed items...
Any ideas ?
December 29, 2015 03:19AM
I use the 2093EL from bunnings and the only time its ever stuck to the part was when the nozzle was set too close to the bed. Usually I print PLA without the heated bed on, but the times that i use the heated bed (60 deg), the only thing i notice is sometimes the ink from the text all over the tape will transfer to the part.
December 29, 2015 03:51AM
Why don't you use a heated bed with PLA and forget about the blue tape (expensive and not very good)
Use sugar with water. Heat it up in the microwave so that it becomes like thin honey and spread a little over the glass plate or bed with a bit of spit.
The spit stops the sugar from beading. Heat the bed to 60C and print.
Let the bed cool down or remove the glass and add another one to keep printing. When the plate has cooled down the part will fall off.
Don't try and take the part off while it is still hot, you may break the glass or lift a piece of glass off with the part.
Also works well with ABS, only raise the temp of the bed to suit. Can be used many times before having to wash off (done very easy with cold water)

I have been using this method for over 5 years now and never had a fail.

[regpye.com.au]
December 29, 2015 05:07AM
Can I spread the sugar on galvalized bed ?
December 31, 2015 08:28PM
It is worth a try, I can't see why it wouldn't work. Costs almost nothing and easy to do.

[regpye.com.au]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login