Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Desperatly seeking luck...

Posted by chirdaki 
Desperatly seeking luck...
December 02, 2009 08:23AM
hi all,

i've got my hands on a gen 3 kit from makerbot, but forgot the usb to ttl cable. oopsie. next step is to build a mcwire, but want to translate it to metric first; i'm young and never learnt imperial/yankee. then off to bunnings!

question: has anyone in melbourne, or vic for that matter, actually got a working reprap?

andy.
Re: Desperatly seeking luck...
December 03, 2009 06:17AM
At this stage, I think it is a race to see who gets one operating first.
I'm currently modding/finishing my CNC which will do dual work as a RepStrap as well

Oscar
December 16, 2009 12:55AM
Let the race begin tongue sticking out smiley Im looking at getting a heap of gear sent in. Anyone need anything let me know.
December 16, 2009 07:45AM
thanks to fox i've got an extruder nozzle.

now i need: -nichrome wire and can only seem to find the unshielded variety
-kapton tape, from here: [www.dealextreme.com]
-a trip to bunnings for the cartesian bot. they might not have ptfe strips though... could use nylon i guess, though it'd wear faster.
-usb-ttl cable as i forgot to order it with the electronics.

the biggest issue i've got at the moment is that i don't have a job, so i'm spending lots of time trying to find one so i can keep building! once i've got this running i want to spend some significant time making mendel kits en masse. i'd likely do runs of 10-20 at a time to try and get a little economy of scale. not to mention pocket money, i am a student after all!

btw, if anyone is going to put an order in to makerbot, i'd love to tag on the cable and wire. just can't afford to pay $35-40 postage for a $20 part!
December 17, 2009 12:04AM
forgot to add thermistor or some type of temperature gauge. again, makerbot has them and again the postage is higher than part...
January 14, 2010 03:15AM
I'll join the race to complete a reprap (though mine is actually a repman)

So far I've built 20 stage 1 components, about to start the next phase of assembly ...
you can follow my progress here

I have makerbot electronics v3 for sale if someone wants them
RepRap Motherboard Kit v1.1
Stepper Motor Driver v2.3 Kit

What I'm after now is a local source of filament to feed the thing when I get it finished - anyone have a local melbourne source?

thanks,
Joseph
January 19, 2010 02:56AM
Try here for plastic
[www.compws.com.au]
January 19, 2010 03:56AM
Thanks! I'll try them
January 23, 2010 06:58PM
jjbarrows

I was going to call compws this week, but any chance you can post your results. I think they are a distributor but they may be able to reference us to a local retailer.
January 23, 2010 07:11PM
I emailed compws and they replied saying they stock material for repraps so I rang them and ordered a 10m of ABS - it arrived the next day!

excellent service, but when I got it I realised 10m X 3mm = not very much material at all! only a few hundred grams i'd guess.

So once my machine is working I'll have to look into bulk discounts (though 300m of HDPE is only $55 so might be worth trying)

I haven't tried it yet, as I'm waiting on some parts to arrive from the UK to finish my machine sad smiley

-joseph
January 23, 2010 08:10PM
Thanks for that Joesph.
What was the price? Shipping?

I just did some quick calculations (well Solidworks did for me smiling smiley
The Pinch Wheel bracket is 32,617 cubic mm.
1m of 3mm ABS is 7,068 cubic mm

So it will us nearly 5m of filament.

Buying a 300m roll of ABS is not a bad idea but then might have to build a uncoiler sad smiley
January 24, 2010 12:00AM
prices are on their site in a PDF, 10m of 3mm ABS was $12
they express posted it (I think $7 satchel), so not very cost effective for small orders. bulk buying is much better - 300metres is only 10x the price (and HDPE is half the price of ABS).

they have colours in stock, and can mix colours on request too! so once I build a multi headed machine lots of psychadelic fun can ensue.

-joseph
March 27, 2010 06:46AM
chirdaki: Are you still in need a USB-ttl converter....? I have a spare I'm not using that I could pass on for cost.

If not, I'm happy for someone else to grab it.

--
Cef
June 14, 2010 12:49AM
My spare tinyUSB USB-TTL converter (which was offered here) is now in the hands of the CCHS (Melbourne HackerSpace).

FWIW: If you need to use it (eg: as a bootloader), they will most likely be happy to let you bring your project over to program it there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login