Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS/PLA Group BUY

Posted by Auzze 
ABS/PLA Group BUY
November 08, 2010 04:10PM
HI..

I spent most of the day trying to track down some PLA or ABS here in OZ.. NO luck at all...
So I have been think that maybe we need to do a group buy if we can get a good price.
I'm hoping we can get a 1kg for about $25.00 but that not a finally figure.
The only problem I see is that it would all have to be pre-paid for using paypal.

Let me know what you think before I start the foot work on costings.

Thanks
Auzze
Re: ABS/PLA Group BUY
November 08, 2010 05:49PM
I've got 10 rolls (each is 0.9kg) of PLA on the way from Vik Olliver in NZ. I'm hoping to be able to pass these on to others somewhere around the figure you quoted.

Note: If we don't find a local supplier that can beat this, I'm happy to bring this stuff in the same sort of qty's, which is about the cheapest packaging/shipping cost point (multiples of 10) for other people.

Re: ABS..

I've got a few places to try, but 3mm welding rod is a fairly standard diameter. It's a matter of finding somewhere that sells it in continuous lengths for an appropriate price.I have a few contacts in the plastic industry, and will be chasing up with them about ABS and PLA.
November 22, 2010 07:59PM
The PLA arrived today. YAY!
November 22, 2010 10:39PM
Did anyone else notice the ABS rolls rom WA on ebay over the last few days?

Might be worth picking up a few KG's for playing with.

selling 5KG for $85 inc postage.
November 22, 2010 11:40PM
Auzze pointed me at those.

BTW: I'll have the PLA with me tonight at CCHS.
November 25, 2010 09:29PM
I purchased a batch so we can have a play.
December 04, 2010 06:39AM
what's it like? can you give me a quote for a kilogram cefiar?

You know that 'addicted to plastic' doco, how at the end that melbourne company had made a bioplastic that started to degrade just by pouring water over it...

you need to use your contacts to get a PLA filament that will dissolve in water or something cheap and easy, would be an awesome support material!
December 04, 2010 07:18AM
Problem with dissolving a support material in water is that some plastics absorb water. This could distort the shape of the object you're supporting.
December 04, 2010 07:33AM
ah very true.

or seeing as this is an Australian thread,

truth
December 05, 2010 02:15AM
Cefiar, I would be interested in buying a small amount of that PLA off you at some point. Unfortunately I wont be able to make the next CCHS meet up until the 21st of December. Thats if there is a meeting so close to xmas.

I just bought a 5m length of black ABS welding rod off ebay today to do some testing. After some back of the envelope calculations I think it works out to the cringe-worthy price of $70/kg...
December 05, 2010 10:13PM
Capo: I'll keep a roll aside for you then.

And just to note, I contacted mlagana via PM about the price. If and when I bring in the next lot I'll have a definite price I can quote people.
December 07, 2010 02:14AM
oh sorry i forgot to reply but definitely count me in, i'm not bothered about the shipping prices. So far i've printed white ABS from makerbot which was really good, now i'm using black ABS off ebay [cgi.ebay.com.au]

the print quality is not as good as the makerbot white ABS, i'm getting more blobs which can hopefully be calibrated out...

i also have some other black abs sent to me from [reprapcentral.com] to test, it's much blacker and shinier i'm going to test it soon.
December 09, 2010 10:04PM
I have the White ABS from the ebay guy in WA,

THe roll was short 1/2 a KG but other than that it looks ok.
If someone im melb wants some to try then give me a yell. im sure we can catch up. either at CCHS or somewhere else.

I should be bringing it this weekend to Cef's
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login