Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power Supply for mendel prusa

Posted by newbie 
Power Supply for mendel prusa
March 27, 2011 04:24PM
I have purchased gen 6 electronics for my prusa. What power supply would people suggest and where can you purchase things such as euro style power plugs for the electronics and molex plugs for the motor outputs on the gen 6 board.
Re: Power Supply for mendel prusa
March 27, 2011 06:51PM
Jaycar sell both of these.

Might want to take a pic of the connectors with you to Jaycar when you go to buy if you're unsure.

Note: As I don't have Gen6, I looked at the Gen6 pic from Mendel-Parts to be sure what connectors you were referencing. I use the same (white and green) connectors on my RAMPS, and they were bought from Jaycar.
March 27, 2011 08:48PM
Thanks for the reply, jaycar aren't very helpful with Molex but have ordered the right ones from Element14.

The power supply concerns me more, any ideas on what I should purchase?
March 28, 2011 12:03AM
Well depends what you're planning to run off it.

I'd factor about 5A for just the board with steppers and the element heater. If you're going to run a heated bed, you need to factor in the current for that too (can be almost 10A on their own if you use the PCB based ones).

I bought mine from AusXMods, but I think they're out of stock them (12V @ 8A). They look a lot like the ones from Jaycar below, but cheaper.

There apparently was a guy who used to sell enclosed switch mode PSU's (that's what they're usually called) at the swap meets for cheap, but I haven't been in ages, and even when I was going I didn't see him often.

If you only need 12.5A (all depends on that heated bed), then something like this from Jaycar may suit (same sort of thing as my AusXMods PSU). eBay is also a good place for look for stuff like this, and occasionally Oatley and Rockby have switch mode PSU's like this for sale, so it's always worth checking them out.

Note: You'll probably want to build a box to go around it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login