Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder recommendation for prusa

Posted by bsutton 
Extruder recommendation for prusa
July 24, 2011 09:20PM
I'm just finishing up my prusa build and now need to order an extruder.

Any recommendations would be helpful. This appears to be the design area with the greatest no. Of options and no clear winner.

If it makes a difference my main concern is accuracy and I'm not very price sensitive.
Re: Extruder recommendation for prusa
July 25, 2011 01:02AM
Hey

I would go with a Greg's Hinged Accessible Extruder
[www.thingiverse.com]

Also if you ask him in the irc channel he may print you one.

Or are you talking about a hotend. if so try makergear.com, mendel-parts.com

Auzze
July 25, 2011 03:48AM
If again you are speaking about the hotend, the one from Arcol.hu is pretty neat, im still in the process of assembling mine, but the build quality is excellent, and it can be mounted on Prusa by default!

Schulz
August 01, 2011 09:22PM
Yes I was actually talking about the Hotend.

Shulz how did you go with the Arcol?
August 01, 2011 09:47PM
Well, at the moment its only partially assembled, but that's only because the fire cement dried out, which is because I kept on putting it off weekend after weekend, (like a month or more) because of school. However everything is very well made and study.

Only thing is, its a bit annoying crimping the thermistor and the other parts, but apart from that, its all good. smiling smiley

Schulz
August 02, 2011 10:09PM
Shulz
its a bit annoying crimping the thermistor

I find that soldering the thermistor leads works fine, they're quite long and the temperature has dropped quite a bit by the time you get to the end of them.

The same can't be said about the heater resistor, even plumbing solder is weakened enough to make it unreliable. For that I take the metal parts out of a 2-way Weidmuller terminal and clip off the sharp pointy end:

[www.jaycar.com.au]

You wind up with a very small metal cube that screws nicely onto the resistor terminals, and the connecting wires can be stripped and wrapped a few times around the central hole as well.
August 02, 2011 11:50PM
HI..

The best way I found was to buy some small brass tube (K&S Brass) from your local hobby shop. Cut it by rolling it under a sharp hobby knife, once done use a pair of wire cutters to gently grimp the lead and the wire, then cover with heat shrink

All up you can grinp about 30 leads and it's cheap.

Hope that helps

Auzze
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login