Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printed Parts Supply in AU & Threaded Rods Metric or SAE?

Posted by bmsweb 
Printed Parts Supply in AU & Threaded Rods Metric or SAE?
September 27, 2011 03:39PM
I was wondering if there are any suppliers of Printed Parts for the Prusa here in Australia and also what type of threaded rods are available here?

Thanks
Paul
Re: Printed Parts Supply in AU & Threaded Rods Metric or SAE?
September 27, 2011 06:59PM
Metric is the standard for threaded rod here, although you will find SAE around as well at places like Bunnings (don't use Bunnings rod though, it's galvanized steel which looks terrible and jams in the nuts).
September 27, 2011 09:45PM
Thanks for the info. Just wondering if there are any suggestions as to where to buy the Threaded Rods other than Bunnings?
September 28, 2011 12:21AM
There's a list of Australian suppliers on the wiki:

[reprap.org]

Personally I've bought BZP rod from both Keables and Metro Bolts and they've both worked well, although the stuff from Cost Less Bolts looked good too. Most important thing to make sure it's really straight when you buy it because even a small wobble can cause the sides of your printed pieces to oscillate slightly every 3 or 4 layers.
September 28, 2011 01:30AM
Thanks for the tip Myndale smiling smiley Will look at the link now.
September 29, 2011 05:28PM
Just wondering if Keables also sell Smooth Rod? is BZP Rod the smooth M8 Rod?
September 29, 2011 11:32PM
BZP means Bright Zinc Plated, and is usually only threaded rod. BZP also tends to be only 'mild steel' which can be bent fairly easily.

I personally use 304 grade stainless steel for all my smooth and threaded drive rods (anything that is driven as a moving part by a motor, such as the Z rods). It's almost always straight (mainly as it's stronger, and doesn't bend as easily), which avoids problems later.
September 29, 2011 11:56PM
Thanks for the for the clarification Cefiar! Its much appreciated . . I think I should be on track . . . for now smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login