Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3mm ABS Filament Suppliers in Australia or Overseas?

Posted by bmsweb 
3mm ABS Filament Suppliers in Australia or Overseas?
October 02, 2011 07:23AM
Just wondering where people get their supplies from as far as ABS plastic filament. Only place I've found it so far is on ebay.
Re: 3mm ABS Filament Suppliers in Australia or Overseas?
October 02, 2011 07:36AM
Lybina - [lybina.com] (listed on the Australian Suppliers page) have supplied ABS to a few people I know so far, and the comments have all been good.
October 02, 2011 07:51AM
Thanks unfortunately their site isn't really well laid out, nor does it have any pricing etc. I will have a look through the yellow pages and if I don't have any luck I have a feeling eBay may be the quicker option.
October 02, 2011 10:53PM
I found you really need to phone them. The staff are very helpful.
October 03, 2011 06:27PM
I've had success with Vik Oliver in NZ
His website is www.diamondage.co.nz
October 03, 2011 09:50PM
newbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've had success with Vik Oliver in NZ
> His website is www.diamondage.co.nz

Thanks for the link, I'll check it our now
October 03, 2011 11:24PM
I can add another vote for Lybina.

Considering that the filament is (at best) a one of their niche markets, the staff are very helpful. Excellent prices, too. When I bought from them, they were selling at $16.50 / kg.

Very high quality, too. All the filament I measured came out exactly the same; 2.84mm on the short axis, 2.94mm on the long.

Support local suppliers!
October 04, 2011 12:27AM
Throwing in a "me too" re Lybina, their ABS was great and as a company I found them very helpful.

I had one bad batch of PLA through Vik, some teal that reportedly came from him resulted in very untidy prints that caused my extruder to spit out large globs of fluid which dried to a crusty, flaky mess. His red and green, on the other hand, all printed brilliantly, and his yellow, blue and purple all came out pretty good too.
October 04, 2011 06:47AM
Thanks for the info guys, its been very helpful . . the decision as to what colours I get. I'm planning on buying both ABS and PLA. I can't wait to get my Printer Parts and fingers crossed actually get it printing smiling smiley

BTW: Lybina are still selling ABS at $16.50 / kg . . Do you have any idea what they charged you for postage?
October 04, 2011 07:34AM
HI..

Yes, I have some 1.75mm ABS from Lybina.. printed very nice using my 0.15mm nozzle..
Too bad I have so much PLA left or I would buy some more ABS..

Auzze
October 04, 2011 03:42PM
Auzze, I've never printed anything (Since I'm still waiting for my parts). What are your thoughts on ABS and PLA as in print quality, finish etc . . other than PLA is more stiff etc
October 04, 2011 05:35PM
bmsweb Wrote:
> BTW: Lybina are still selling ABS at $16.50 / kg .
> . Do you have any idea what they charged you for
> postage?

They charged me standard Australia Post rates - so it was $15 for the 3kg that I bought.
October 04, 2011 06:37PM
Wow that's reasonable. Thanks
October 05, 2011 08:44AM
HI..

I must say PLA is easy to print, ABS does give off some very bad flumes so you will need to do it in a well vented room or build a box to go over the printer and use a fan vented to the outside..

Both give good quailty, ABS needs more heat to extrude and can be harder to get it to stick and you will need a heated bed to do so.

All in all it goes down to what you like. I for one like PLA.

Auzze

bmsweb Wrote:
> Auzze, I've never printed anything (Since I'm
> still waiting for my parts). What are your
> thoughts on ABS and PLA as in print quality,
> finish etc . . other than PLA is more stiff etc
October 05, 2011 03:08PM
Thanks for you opinion Auzze. It seems there are a lot of people that like using PLA. I might have to get some PLA also and try both before putting in for a order quantity.
Where did you guys get the parts to build the RepRap? Did you get them all in one place as a kit (if so, where and how much) or find it better to get each part separately?
November 11, 2011 04:57AM
I bought all my pieces separately. I had to get my RP bits and hot end from overseas, and I ordered the belts, steppers and stepper drivers from elsewhere in Australia. Everything else I sourced locally.
November 26, 2011 05:36AM
Hey all. I've got sick of waiting 4-6 weeks for things to arrive from overseas, and since I'm already running a warehousing and distribution business, I've setup a website so you can get the things you need (especially filament-ABS and PLA) without all the hassle.
Checkout www.bilbycnc.com.au and consider adding me to the Australian Suppliers page. You can also use our freecall number during business hours 1800-245-297.
November 26, 2011 08:13PM
I think something might be broken on your site.

Adam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 08:13PM by Dragonbane.
November 27, 2011 12:56AM
Yes, had the same problem...

Auzze
November 27, 2011 05:39AM
Sometimes it doesn't matter how many times you test ...
I've rebuilt it all around a new (more rugged) database, and ahm, tested again.

Sorry Auzz and Dragonbane, try it now. Thanks for letting me know.

ChrisB
November 27, 2011 05:52AM
ChrisBilby Wrote:
> Sometimes it doesn't matter how many times you
> test ...
> I've rebuilt it all around a new (more rugged)
> database, and ahm, tested again.
>
> Sorry Auzz and Dragonbane, try it now. Thanks for
> letting me know.
>
> ChrisB

The joys of building websites. grinning smiley I was having a look around just before and it was working much better.

Adam.
November 27, 2011 05:56AM
I've just gone through my first roll of ABS . . . man that didn't last very long sad smiley
November 27, 2011 06:03AM
bmsweb

How big a roll did you have? Where did it all go?
I weighed the plastic in my prusa mendel at 450g, and it's solid printing.
I do have an affectation for printing 3D knots, they weigh about 16g.
November 27, 2011 06:27AM
Still getting the hang of it. Only been printing for 1 week so mega newbie lol

Got some PLA from Auzze last week and its almost gone . . . about a meter left. Most of it was for testing and also making some parts for my Prusa as some of the parts had issues. I also put my first part on Thingiverse smiling smiley
[www.thingiverse.com]

Now that the machine is under control. I need to buy a lot more this time.

I'm starting my second Prusa build soon smiling smiley
January 04, 2012 06:32AM
Sorry for the thread hijack, but does anyone know where to get 1.75mm filament for cheap(er?)

I asked Lybina, and its costs $15.50 per 50 meters of ABS, including shipping, which still sounds really expensive to me.
I'm actually planning to have a chat to a plastics manufacturer (they make a variety of resins, ABS, PC, ASA, other blends of the former, etc but apparently not PLA) to find out what prices they could give for the raw resins prior to extrusion as filament. After that I'm planning to find somewhere that can turn the raw resin into good quality filament for use in our printers.

Only real issue is that to get a buy together there would need to be a fair quantity purchased, not to mention finding somewhere that could do the second stage extrusion to make the stuff into filament at a decent price. I'm aiming to go for 1.75mm filament if I can, but before going through all the difficulty, would there be much demand in the local market for filament? If so, what sort? There seems to be quite a variety of different grades of ABS, let alone taking into account additives such as colour, UV stabilisers, whether the stuff could be food grade or not....

I'm hoping to make up maybe 50kg or more if the demand is there initially, but could always go on to make more further down the track. Anyone interested?
February 17, 2012 09:22AM
Lybina makes superb quality ABS, very friendly and good price. But you need to call them as others have mentioned before.
Cheers
IceMan
February 18, 2012 05:31AM
I buy my ABS from Lybina as well, in my experience they provide really good quality stock. It's a bit more expensive than some other options but IMO it's worth it just to support a local supplier with a track record for being very friendly and helpful to the local RepRap scene. Now if we could just get them to start doing PLA for us....
April 05, 2012 10:58PM
LYBINA has the web shop up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login