Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder and heated bed temperature controller for EMC repstrap

Posted by Petrus 
Extruder and heated bed temperature controller for EMC repstrap
October 24, 2011 03:21PM
I am building an EMC repstrap, all the axis are controlled by a PC but I needed a controler to regulate the temperature of the extruder and heated bed, so here it is :

It is based on a Atmel atmega 324p microcontroller, there is 4 multiplexed thermocouple inputs, 2 for the extruder and 2 for the bed.

The outputs are :
-1 high current PWM output for the bed
-1 medium current output for the extruder
-2 PWM outputs for fans.

The temperatures are set manually using the rotary switch, but I can choose between 2 different settings automatically during print using outputs set in the Gcode, I can also change the temperature manually during print. 10 different settings can be saved in EEPROM.
There is also a logging function to record the temperature using the serial output of the microcontroller.

The two bi-color leds are used to indicate quickly the state of the extruder and bed (yellow = heat up, green = temperature OK, red = error)

The power supply for the electronics and the extruder is built in the box (The box with power supply came from an old external hard drive), for the heated bed, I will need to add an external 12V high current power supply.

The controller can trig an emergency stop if there is a problem.
Attachments:
open | download - controller.jpg (61.6 KB)
Re: Extruder and heated bed temperature controller for EMC repstrap
October 25, 2011 08:52AM
Love it! Got any schematics for others to play with?
October 25, 2011 11:41AM
Yep, here is a .zip with schematics, board and the kicad files:
controller.zip

I designed it to work with both an AD597 integrated thermocouple amplifier or an instrumentation amplifier + a 10k NTC for software icepoint compensation.

To use the AD597, you will need an adapter :

AD597_adapter.pdf
October 26, 2011 11:02AM
Could you take a little time and make a wiki page for it pls?
October 26, 2011 12:02PM
Nice work!
November 14, 2011 04:20PM
The software is not finished but it works, at least for the extruder :
soft.zip

I will make a wiki page for the printer, the extruder and the extruder/bed controller when I have time (ideally during a long print) but right now my top priority is to improve the printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login