Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many Arduino's?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
How many Arduino's?
April 27, 2008 12:08PM
On the " Arduino Based Electronics" page the parts list shows quantity 2 required for the Arduino. However the wiring diagram and instructions only mention 1. Somewhat confusing!

I have just started to order the parts to build a Darwin.

Alvin
Re: How many Arduino's?
April 27, 2008 01:13PM
You can use just one arduino, and this is the way you should go for now. But be warned, this means that every pin on that arduino will be used, which means that there is now room for expansion of you RepRap

Jay
Anonymous User
April 27, 2008 03:06PM
Thanks for the reply.

I will get a spare as I am interested in the electronics.

Alvin
Anonymous User
April 27, 2008 03:31PM
As I have your attention, another question.

The RepRap Parts lister shows a PowerComms v1.3 is required as does the "Arduino Based Electronics" page. But this board is not shown on the wiring diagram.

Is it still needed?

Alvin
April 27, 2008 07:10PM
FOr the Dual arduino setup, the PowerCOmms board is needed. This is just used purely as a link between the Arduinos and nothing more. If you are using the single arduino setup (I think that is the only functioning firmware available right now anyways), the PowerComms board is not needed.

Jay
April 28, 2008 10:20AM
sorry!

i need to update those docs to reflect the changes in the arduino stuff in the past few months.

basically, like others have pointed out, you only need 1 arduino to get up and running. the 2 arduino was a 'safety net' and it turns out you dont need them.
April 30, 2008 02:53PM
Zach - so has the diagram/pinout been changed?
May 06, 2008 01:41PM
no pins have changed, but the dual arduino setup has been dropped as unneccessary.

now that i've gotten it all working and have experience, it would be nice to update it with the 'latest stuff'
May 13, 2008 03:05PM
Any chance we can get updated firmware for the dual arduino setup? I'm ready to test my positioning system, but when I built a breakout board I followed the dual arduino setup. Figured it would be nice to have some room for expansion and further tinkering.

Edit: Oh, it looks like 2 arduinos was only removed from the documentation? I'm going to give the latest arduino firmware a try today!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2008 04:24PM by kylecronan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login