Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap PCB option

Posted by Jared Harvey 
RepRap PCB option
November 13, 2007 12:28PM
I've been thinking about the potential use of conductive epoxies as a way to make PCB's. Has anyone tried this before. I haven't looked much, but below is one product that is kind of like what I was thinking of.

[www.mgchemicals.com]

Toss that paste in the paste extruder head and I think your on your way to making PCB's. I'd bet someone has made a paste that can be soldered to once it's curred.
Re: RepRap PCB option
November 13, 2007 01:09PM
Did look like too bad a price as long as you only had to use it for the traces and such. $28.41 for 2 oz. Can you find anything cheaper or was this your first find? I think someone mentioned before that this had been tried in some respect or at least thought about for RepRap. Might check the old forums.

Demented
Jared Harvey
November 21, 2007 12:52PM
Yeah it was the first one I came across. Here is another I found after only 10 mins of searching. It's 7 grams for $20. Cures in 4 hrs at room temp and 10 minutes in an oven at 150 degrees F, so cooler then boiling water.

[www.electronix.com]

Hmmm old forum, I'll have to see if I can find that and give it a check.
November 21, 2007 06:22PM
there are quite a few people interested in this. theres a guy by the name of fernando who has done quite a bit of research, as well as Viktor Dirks.

basically this is one of those things that you need a functioning reprap to really research with. hopefully soon when i fully document the McWire Bot and get kits up in the store there will be a whole new generation of RepRappers who are capable of doing real research with this.

stay tuned, its going to be awesome!
Jared Harvey
November 23, 2007 11:48AM
I've seen the a note about the kits before. I'd be interested in a kit if they exist. Other then that I can't experiment with out a REPRAP.
November 23, 2007 04:25PM
hey jared,

i'm working on the kit situation. i should be able to launch the kit for the extruder in another week or so, the 3-axis mechanics here in a month, various kits for the electronics shortly after that, and then hopefully within 2 months we'll have a full kit for everything.

so exciting!!!
Jared Harvey
November 25, 2007 06:05AM
I'll keep an eye out for it. I should note, I don't need a full kit, I'm quite capable electrically and mechanically. I just don't have the time to sort through a BOM and obtain materials. If you have a 50% to 60% kit, that may lower my time requirement to the point where I can move it up in priority.

I just browsed the kits in the store, I see mostly electrically based kits. I'm more concerned about the mechanical parts. I need to know I'm using a stepper motor before I get the stepper motor PCB.

I've alpha/beta tested for a number of other projects out there. I'm not scared to do it again.
November 25, 2007 11:39PM
cool. we're definitely getting closer to what you're looking for. i just recently launched the extruder kit, and i'll soon be ordering a bulk purchase of tested and vetted steppers, as well as ordering an initial run of lasercut parts for the mcwire design.

things are about to start getting really fun for RepRap researching!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login