Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie looking for advice troubleshooting electronics

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Newbie looking for advice troubleshooting electronics
February 28, 2008 03:36AM
OK, I've built all my boards. I tested the stepper motor driver boards individually using one Arduino and the test setup found in the assembly instructions for the stepper motor boards -- all three operated correctly.

Next I wired everything together as in the dual Arduino instructions. I connected my laptop to the Arduino boards individually over USB to program their respective firmwares -- this went OK (ie no errors reported).

I have performed the serial echo check on the PowerComm board and get echo. I confirmed that the Tx/Rx ring is wired correctly despite the mis-print on the PowerComm PCBoard (I watched the status lights while sending text from the laptop to confirm which was which).

Next I ran the RepRap host software and configured it for the correct com port (COM10). I assume that the next step (if I just want to see something move) is to click on Tools->Stepper Exerciser. When I do this the Java app freezes. The DOS window in the background repeats the message:

"Receive error, re-sending: Timeout receiving byte"

over and over. Note: I don't see any activity lights on the Arduino (other than PWR).

I was not satisfied that my homebrew solder header pin strip was seating right on the second Arduino so I bypassed that by closing the token ring so that it just runs from the PowerComm board to the 3-axis Arduino and back. I repeat the test and this time I see activity on the Tx and Rx LEDs on the PowerComm board and the test light (labeled L) on the Arduino, but no motor activity and no Rx/Tx activity on the Arduino. This seems to confirm my suspicions about the connector on Arduino #2 being loose -- I'll fix this at another time.

Can anyone help me with where to go from here? The pattern of LED activity in this last test makes me think that a test was running and that perhaps I mis-wired the stepper motor controller boards to the Arduino, but the error message I'm seeing in the DOS window would seem to suggest a more fundamental communication problem between the PC and the the PowerComm/Arduino. Perhaps I have two (or more) problems.

Where would I start troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

-darren
Anonymous User
Re: Newbie looking for advice troubleshooting electronics
February 28, 2008 03:52AM
I should have said ... I am running the host software under Vista (ack).

-darren
February 28, 2008 12:51PM
you know, i've never actually gotten the dual arduino setup to work properly. i could never get the rs232 stuff to work well. it should work in theory, but i've been too busy to buckle down and fully debug it when there is a working way that is cheaper/easier.

thankfully, you can run everything off a single arduino. infact, i would strongly suggest you do that. you'll have to rewire, but it will be faster and better.
Anonymous User
February 28, 2008 03:25PM
OK. Will do. Two questions:

1. Do you suggest controlling the machine with USB directly connected to the Arduino or still go through the Comms board?

2. I notice that the wiki firmware instructions changed with the 1.2 release and now only talk about the pcode firmware. For getting started, should I load the single-arduino firmware or the pcode firmware (and host)?

Thanks!

-darren
February 29, 2008 01:18PM
1. if you're using 1 board, the powercomms is unneccesary. the arduino essentially contains the usb cable + serial converter onboard. if you're using 2 arduinos you need it because you need to reroute the signals around the arduino's onboard controller.

2. yeah, until its working properly i'd prefer not to confuse people. the easiest way to get up and running is with the single-arduino firmware. its pretty much rock solid at this point and works very well with the host software.

the gcode is experimental, but also has great potential. play with that if you feel adventurous.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login