Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguino build notes

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Sanguino build notes
August 27, 2008 05:31AM
I have just put several of these together and here are a few additional notes for your build and test cycle:

1. When soldering, be careful with C4 and C5, their pins are very close and liable to jumper. I know I'm a soldering newbie, but I managed to jumper three times in four and for the last two I was expecting it and still managed it...

2. There is a small bug in the boards.txt addition in the download:

This:
sanguino.bootloader.path=atmega644

Needs to be replaced with:
sanguino.bootloader.path=atmega644p

(Thanks to Adrian Bowyer documenting that, I saved the final 1/4 of my hair from being torn out.)

3. I have found that uploading from the Arduino software to be a little more pernickety for the Sanguino than Arduino. Using the Arduino software under Windows to upload sketches, I found the most reliable way was to verify/compile separately (thus timing on the next bit is accurate), then hit upload, wait one second and reset the Sanguino.

4. Finally, your debug LED has moved from pin 13 on the Arduino to pin 0 on the Sanguino, don't be too suprised if your Hello World flashing on pin 13 is invisible. smiling smiley

Oh, and I went though all kinds of hell with Vista, my previous devices (Arduinos and anything similar with a USB controller) had used up COM3 to COM10, so the USB->TTL cale mounted at COM11, apparently COM10+ is a problem for the Arduino software, so lots of faffing about was required to get the cable moved from COM11 to COM3 (I ended up deleting my Blackberry driver and associated COM2/COM3 ports to free some up, who knows what will happen the next time I try to back up my phone...)

If anyone knows how to release COM ports reserved for USB devices that are not currently connected, please let me know.

And if anyone knows how to legally downgrade to XP (in the UK), I'll be eternally grateful, I am coming to despise Vista, my WiFi driver randomly believes I am no longer connected to the Internet (Disable then repair connection to fix), and I cannot free up COM ports, I'm tempted to buy something like an Eee, just because it has XP rather Vista preinstalled on it! If I had the time to fight with Linux again I'd consider doing one of my bi-yearly "install a Linux distro and fight with it for a month before giving up" routines. smiling smiley
Re: Sanguino build notes
September 29, 2008 09:59PM
When I switch (tools, board) to the sanguino or back to the arduino I get a bunch of compiler error messages - I've been ignoring them so far. Anybody know what they are?

********************************************************************************
In file included from C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WConstants.h:1,
from Firmata.cpp:31:
C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:60:1: warning: "abs" redefined
In file included from Firmata.cpp:28:
c:/users/bill/desktop/arduino-0010-win/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/stdlib.h:118:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
Firmata.cpp: In member function 'int FirmataClass::available()':
Firmata.cpp:70: warning: no return statement in function returning non-void
Firmata.cpp:70: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
In file included from C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:6,
from Stepper.cpp:48:
c:/users/bill/desktop/arduino-0010-win/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/avr/signal.h:36:2: warning: #warning "This header file is obsolete. Use ."
In file included from C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:8,
C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/wiring.h:60:1: warning: "abs" redefined
In file included from C:\Users\Bill\Desktop\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\cores\arduino/WProgram.h:1,
c:/users/bill/desktop/arduino-0010-win/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/stdlib.h:118:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from utility\twi.c:25:
c:/users/bill/desktop/arduino-0010-win/arduino-0010/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/avr/signal.h:36:2: warning: #warning "This header file is obsolete. Use ."
September 30, 2008 10:57AM
Bill-

I am no Arduino expert, but I suspect that you are getting errors because your arduino ide is to generations old. I'd try updating the IDE to the newest version, arduino0012.

Robert Carpenter
[www.robertcarpenter.net]
emt
September 30, 2008 12:34PM
Hi

Which operating system Windows or Linux?

Which firmware version?

Arduino version 011 generates warnings on first compile but still compiles without errors. I get no warnings on subsequent compiles. Arduino version 012 generates an error message both for me using Widows and another user using Linux so I would stick to version 011 for the time being.

Regards

Ian
September 30, 2008 02:33PM
still using 010. I completely missed 011 and 012 gives even more disturbing errors. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and try 012 again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login