Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Buy Gen 2 or Gen 3 electronics? That is the question

Posted by SCphotog 
Buy Gen 2 or Gen 3 electronics? That is the question
May 21, 2009 04:40AM
I am back. Getting ready to move forward with my build and am at a road block. Should I purchase the gen 2 or gen 3 electronics kit? I like the gen3 kit. Is the sanguino included in the mobo kit or will I need to purchase one separately? It also looks like the gen 3 kit does not come with a temp probe. Are we still using a thermistor or have we moved to a thermocouple?
Re: Buy Gen 2 or Gen 3 electronics? That is the question
May 21, 2009 06:30AM
This might be determined by what is available - I just made my order this week and the RRRF was rapidly running out of Gen 3 stock, so I ordered most things from MakerBot. Theyd didn't have a full range either - some things I got as kits, some as just PCBs. I decided I could get more of the Gen 3 than 2 componenents.

It is my understanding that the Gen 3 motherboard comes with the Sanguino on it. I certainly hope so. If not, I shall be attempting to make one or an equivalent.

This was my table of what was available (Gen 3) on the 15th My: [http://copycatbot.blogspot.com/2009/05/its-all-very-dark.html]

but by the 18th the RRRF had sold out of the Generation 3 motherboard (PCcool smiley and the stepper motor driver boards.

Things change quickly.

Hazel.
May 21, 2009 11:13AM
Hazel, et al,

The Gen-3 motherboard does indeed have a Sanguino-equivalent (in surface-mount) on it. The motherboard also has two rows of through holes (on tenth inch spacing) so that you could solder in some in-line connector strips and plug in a through-hole Sanguino in lieu of the surface-mount parts.

HTH,

Larry Pfeffer,

My blog about building repstrap Cerberus:
[repstrap-cerberus.blogspot.com]
May 21, 2009 03:47PM
Motor- it was my understanding that rrrf store and makerbot were both ran by Zach. Makerbot has the gen3 kit for $145. It is out of stock but I am sure it will come back in stock soon. I remember when the original electronics kits were out of stock for months.
May 22, 2009 06:55AM
Hurry up Zach !
I'll have my own spare boards and software ready to go soon too !
[forums.reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login