Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Variant KL23H51-24-08B Stepper wiring

Posted by vonslatt 
Variant KL23H51-24-08B Stepper wiring
December 14, 2009 04:25PM
I bought three KL23H51-24-08B steppers from rrrf.org earlier this year and I discovered that the color codes were wildly different than what was listed in the docs.

These motors work when wired as follows:

A - Black
B - Red
C - Green
D - White

Yellow and Blue together
Brown and Orange together

Before I figured out the wiring was different the motors just sat there and buzzed - no motion. I have no idea why these color codes are different but I thought this might help someone else if it was not widely know already.
Re: Variant KL23H51-24-08B Stepper wiring
February 03, 2010 06:05PM
Thanks so much for the info,

I have been stuck on this for a while with no clear direction as to if it was my wiring or something I missed with the software.

There were a couple other mentions that the spec sheet on wiring for the Keling motor was wrong. The reprap instructions follow the spec sheet here and is how I have tried wiring mine.

Another post is here where the documentation error is mentioned but the correct wiring is not.

So how do you figure out the correct wiring? I tried checking the resistance a while back and from my understanding it seemed to be correct. I will try changing the wiring tonight and see if this fixes the problem.
February 03, 2010 07:21PM
if your motor sits and buzzes, then your wiring is connected in such a way that the driver is telling it to take 2 steps forward, 1 step back which usually causes it to miss steps and barely move at all. Either that or the pairs are wrong (easy to sort out with a continuity tester or multimeter). usually reversing one winding does the trick. swap the windings if your motor then turns the wrong way winking smiley

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
February 03, 2010 07:56PM
That wouldn't be the Jake von Slatt would it. Of steam-punk fame ?????

N. E. Way, with steppers even if bought from the same manufacturer you can't really depend on the color code. Manufacturers (particularly in more fiscally challenged parts of the world) may change their color codes between or even during batches, depending on availability of wire. No motors out of the door = no money in the same door, let me see do I wait for more of the same color or do I go with what I have got ??????

This is made more complex still when you consider that some retailers may stock from multiple suppliers essentially producing what amounts to clone components.

Ultimately the Multimeter on an Ohms or resistance setting is your only real friend.

Ignore the colors and meter out your windings. Higher resistance = more turns. This will help you work out which terminals/wires are ends or centers of windings (where you have a motor that is center tapped, not common, but if you have skip ratted it, who knows)

It is incredibly rare, (so rare I have never know it, but await tails of the unexpected) for the wire diameter to change in the windings. either between and much less during a batch. (diameter of the wire makes a huge difference to the spec and even whether you can get the same turns into the same physical space)

aka47

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
February 04, 2010 05:45PM
That's me!

To figure out the wiring of my motors I opened one up and energized the coils to determine which pairs went with which poles. Make sure you note where the spring washers go or you'll have to open a second motor to figure it out! tongue sticking out smiley
February 04, 2010 08:27PM
Yup that's another way too.

I must admit. I have never been able to get them to go back together exactly right once taken apart. Something always rubs on the armature. I think the clearances are a bit tight and unforgiving.

That's my excuse anyway.

cheers

aka47

PS can we look forward to a Steampunk RepRap some time, that would be cool....
Shame we couldn't print in brass.

Necessity hopefully becomes the absentee parent of successfully invented children.
February 05, 2010 12:15PM
A steam punk reprap would look great next to the Victorian all-in-one you made!
February 05, 2010 03:36PM
Ok so forgive a Mech E for my lack of experience with steppers but here is my issue:

My steppers have 8 wires I can go through and find all the pairs easily enough. I can then join any of the pairs together to double the resistance but How can I know if I am not connecting one of the pairs backwards to the other? I can flip the two wires at the stepper board but that doesn't really fix the problem if one of the paired windings is backwards.

So I can try all possible combinations which doesn't seem that proper or I can take it apart and examine it that way...

Each pair/coil has a resistance of 1.8 Ohms and 3.6Ohms when paired if I remember right.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
February 05, 2010 04:08PM
It actualy does'nt matter (yeah I know it's a little counter intuitive)

What matters is that the direction of the winding is the same with respect to the other pair.

If you connect the pairs up knowing what they are and it does'nt function swap the ends of one.

Check out the advice on the RRRF website re stepper windings and identification.

It is covered here.

In essence if the phase of the winding pair is opposed the motor goes no where.

If they are not opposed the motor will turn one way or the other.

Hope this makes sense it does to me but I am a glass or two down.

February 05, 2010 04:09PM
BTW don't run yourself down.

Engineering is engineering and requires a greater grip on reality than most can bear.

February 05, 2010 05:04PM
Thanks fir the help aka... I figure asking with some humility will get better results.

Engineering is engineering and requires a greater grip on reality than most can bear.

There is something about walking around a city and understanding what it took to make everything wondering how other people can take so much for granted... then again who can really explain fully how every part of a computer works...
February 05, 2010 05:31PM
Humility doesn't come naturally to me.

I started biting my way up from the bottom at birth, and find necessity insists I continue.

A break would be nice, but I have got over asking for it. (it never comes and is sole destroying asking)

One of the few things that has worked for me personally is being able to look at things in an analytical & logical manner (past, current future) and see very clearly what is happening and what needs to happen to get to the next level.

It depresses the hell out of me that more people can't see it. But there you go.

Am I going to stop doing what I can. errrrrr no.

Don't apologies for your discipline and your capability, others won't apologies for not having either, much less understanding its application.

Here's to you ahab, here's to your dreams.

aka47

February 05, 2010 06:53PM
It is possible to identify all the pairs and polarities by simply connecting wires to each other and feeling how stiff the motor is to turn. I saw the full procedure on line somewhere, but I forget where.

You can find all the pairs by shorting any two wires and seeing if it makes the motor harder to turn. That gives you four pairs of two.

To find which pairs are the same phase I suppose you connect any pair of pairs in parallel one way round and then the other. If you find it is stiff to turn one polarity and easy the other way round you have found both pairs of the same phase and the stiff polarity gives you the connections for series operation and the free moving polarity for parallel.

No multimeter needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 06:55PM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login