Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any reason NOT to use paper clips for bridges on stripboard?

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Any reason NOT to use paper clips for bridges on stripboard?
November 28, 2010 12:18PM
Hi All

I am planning to use paperclips - bent & cut to the right length - to form bridges from one track to the other on my stripboard stepper driver.

Is there any reason for me NOT to use them?

Further, the wire of a paperclip seems pretty thick - would it be adequate to carry the 12v for the motor?

Thanks for any advice
Re: Any reason NOT to use paper clips for bridges on stripboard?
November 28, 2010 02:19PM
Is it _that_ difficult to get some copper wire? Every electrician should have some.

Other than that, the only drawbacks are some possible difficulties to solder the material. Wether your flavour of paper clips works can be tested easily.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 28, 2010 03:27PM
Just use short bits of 16/.2 or 24/.2 wire or whatever copper wire you have around

paperclips are steel. You need copper or tinned wire really.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 28, 2010 08:10PM
The paperclips here are plated with some sort of tin/nickel alloy. It's tricky to wet with solder, and when it does, they easily delaminate from the steel underneath. I have used paperclips many times, and I suggest against them. Also, the resistance is much higher than copper so you get more heating under high current than a similar sized copper wire.

However, if you're willing to replace them with copper when you can, they'll do the job if you have nothing else.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
November 29, 2010 05:05AM
I have found some scrap housing wire where the live and ground wires are 5 stranded copper with each strand about 0.75mm so that will do.

It just seemed that the paperclips would make for neat and easy bridges.
December 01, 2010 09:37AM
I use the legs of the resistors or capcitors that I have cut off after soldering the components on a board. Learned that from my pops. He has a little box full of cut-offs for use as bridges. If you need something thicker to carry more current, then the legs from the 30Ohm ceramic resistors are pretty good.

A small piece of hookup wire with the ends of the sheath removed can also be used, but the sheath usually ends up melting when you solder it on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login