Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does anyone in Canada sell the USB to TTL cable?

Posted by Adam.m.Nelson 
Does anyone in Canada sell the USB to TTL cable?
October 19, 2010 11:05PM
Ok,

We caved and ordered the electronics from Makerbot, and now we need the cable..... Duty is killing the cost effectiveness of this project and we would love to not pay anymore. Does anyone in Canada sell this cable, or should we just hook up MakerBot with another $30.00 for shipping?

Thanks guys!
Re: Does anyone in Canada sell the USB to TTL cable?
October 20, 2010 12:45AM
did you try these guys [www.be-electronics.com]

these guys have a few and there shipping in canada post should be less than 10, i like them. i ordered my soldering iron throgh them and a few other things, but if your order is less than 30 they have a 3 dollar fee
[www.robotshop.ca]

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
October 20, 2010 03:39PM
Hey thanks,

We were actually looking at Robot Shop but noticed they don't use all the same 6 pins that the RepRap version does (Reprap says CTS and RTS and the Robot Shop one use DCD and DTR, are we can't seem to track down the datasheet for the Reprap one, lol)). Does anyone know if this works with the Reprap motherboard?

We tried using our Arduino Duemilanove by intercepting the CTS# and RTS# pins on the board, and the TX RX 5+ and GND on the break out headers, but we couldn't get it to communicate. We set the RX and TX pins in the code to INPUT, and tried removing the chip all together. Still no luck.

Thats what we get for buying upgrades, lol.
Attachments:
open | download - Arduino Hack.jpg (354.7 KB)
VDX
October 21, 2010 03:39AM
Hi Adam,

... i've recently converted a 4-pin-FTDI-interface (whats working with Arduino but need reset-button-timing) into a 6-pin needed for programming the Extruder and supports auto-reset with boards >Atmega168-chips.

Here i simply located the CTS/RTS-pins on the FTDI-chip and soldered a 6-pin-cable where 4 pins (GND,+5V,RxD,TxD) comes from the 4-pin-connector and the two other pins (CTS/RTS) comes directly from the chip ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 21, 2010 03:03PM
Viktor,

Sounds like you did what we did, but we couldn't get ours to communicate. Did you use the USB comms on an arduino board, or separately?
October 21, 2010 03:22PM
Ok, Ok. I think I found a viable replacement. Only question is, is the Vcc 5V of 3.3V on the Reprap cable? I assume 5v, but have had to reorder parts enough times that would like some confirmation, lol

5v cable
3.3v cable
VDX
October 21, 2010 03:59PM
Hi Adam,

... it was this beast: [www.virtualvillage.com]

I use it for the Makerbot-/GRRF-electronics and for Arduino nano Pro's and Boarduino's (both with Atmega328-chip).

With the 4 pins connected i had to press the reset button when the file size is displayed, with 6 pins all boards have auto-reset.

The other boards runs with +5V, only one of the nano-boards has 3.3 Volts, but runs with +5V from USB too (it has a low-drop 3.3V regulator for the core and I/O)

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

October 21, 2010 04:13PM
Thanks Viktor.

For those Canadians out there we finally found what we are actually supposed to use:

Digikey USART
VDX
October 21, 2010 04:20PM
... for PC's with a COM-port this could be cheaper - [www.virtualvillage.com]

Viktor
--------

October 21, 2010 04:24PM
haha yeah, i have some older computers, yet none with a serial port sad smiley
October 22, 2010 11:35AM
Creatron in Toronto has the USB to TTL adaptors(5V) and arduino stuff.

They have a simple website www.creatroninc.com ,very nice folk.
The guys sell to FTDI USB to TTL cables to "US & Canada" too:

[www.tronisoft.com]

This cable is nicely priced and offer bulk discounts. Not sure how many you need but you get a nice discount whereas everwhere else seems to be charging far too much for these cables.

I mean come on - it is just a FT232RL IC on a PCB moulded in China! Why is everyone else charging so much!
VDX
December 03, 2010 03:41AM
... it's the demand for the drivers, driving the price eye rolling smiley

Some months ago i've ordered some RS232-TTL-, USB-RS232/TTL- and USB-RS232/RS485/TTL-modules from virtualvillage.com ... when ordering another batch last week, i noticed that the RS232- and RS485-modules have hold the price, while the USB-TTL-module charges nearly 6 Euros more eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login