Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

drv8811 and motherboard 1.2

Posted by aarnis 
drv8811 and motherboard 1.2
January 11, 2011 03:48PM
Hi,

i have couple drv8811 stepper chips laying around, and i want use them with motherboard 1.2. Is it easy? What changes i need to do to code? Do i have only to change microstepping to 8?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 03:49PM by aarnis.
Re: drv8811 and motherboard 1.2
January 12, 2011 03:17AM
there is no hardware change in mb regardless of what stepper driver boards are used; all you need is to (properly) connect the mb 1.2 to stepper driver boards;

just when loading the firmware one has to specify the [steps per mm] for each axis, and that depends on:
- what kind of stepping the board does (full, half, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc)
- drive pulleys being used

however, firmware tuning is easy and mandatory process: this setting (along with others) has to be done anyway in order tune the firmware to the mechanical machine, so its not like one would be able to by-pass this phase, ~ regardless of what setup is used; how and where exactly to tune different stuff in firmware, depends what firmware is used, but most of things are either explained in comments or just self-explanatory
Re: drv8811 and motherboard 1.2
January 12, 2011 05:27AM
i seen you asked the same on ramps forum

again on short, yes you can use any stepper driver chip with basically any of the motherboards either 1.2 or ramps or gen7 or whatever else motherboard setup.

motherboard(s) would drive any of the common stepper chips or boards which have step&dir
(e.g. not the advanced stepper boards and chips like a3985 etc - maybe not yet)

basically you just need to tell the motherboard(s) how to drive the stepper boards/chips in order to achieve the expected result, e.g. tuning the firmware - a thing which has to be done anyway and regardless.

i think the drv8811 already has been used before, at least check this [www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login