Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adrian's pololu VS ramps VS gen7 VS ...

Posted by caru 
Adrian's pololu VS ramps VS gen7 VS ...
January 27, 2011 10:27AM
Hello all,
I am building my first reprap, a prusa. I can't describe how much I am enjoying building this printer!

The only thing I ordered for electronics at the moment are the 4 pololu stepper drivers.

I plan to assemble the electronics on a stripboard, but I am not sure which electronics are faster/easier/convenient to build.
I hope you can help me choose a direction.

Thank you, caru.
Re: Adrian's pololu VS ramps VS gen7 VS ...
February 03, 2011 11:01PM
i am a fan of the ramps solution i like how they keep everything on one board.

for me my choice was based on preference to keep things together and less clutter, seeing how the boards i was trying to make just always seemed to end up too cluttered, not to mention i had a pretty good bodge up last month too, i ended up killing my 4 pololu drivers i had, oh well lesson learned about my designs.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 10, 2011 08:37AM
@dissidence

Speaking to jmgiacalone from E-Maker at Makerfaire in March I qeestioned his use of fans on his set ups.

He said that a fan is needed to keep the 4 pololu drivers from over heating even with the fans I belive he still managed to kill off two of his 4 pololu drivers during the two days of the show. The E-Maker set up was very neat not at all bodged or lasshed up. So I think you should not nesicerialy think it was your clutterd design more the need for some additional cooling.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
April 10, 2011 10:31AM

I plan to assemble the electronics on a stripboard

Adrian's and RAMPS have the Pololu extra; Gen7 has the ATmega on board, no Arduino needed. More or less, they're all single board solutions, so if you really want to move that to stripboard, the result might be almost the same.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 10, 2011 11:28AM
BodgeIt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @dissidence
>
> He said that a fan is needed to keep the 4 pololu
> drivers from over heating even with the fans I
> belive he still managed to kill off two of his 4
> pololu drivers during the two days of the show.

I've been running 4 pololu's on single board, with just heatsinks and no fan without any problems. Whenever I feel the heatsinks, they feel cold. I'm only able to run reliably at 20 mm/s and 1/8 steps on the x and y and 1/2 on the z and e with the Gen 3 MB, so perhaps I'm not pushing them too much. Is it also possible that the ref trim pots in their set-up are not properly adjusted?
April 10, 2011 11:35PM
@ Bnrd

Intresting as the only reason I asked jmgiacalone about the fan he had mounted pointing at the 4 pololu drivers I was supprised that the fan was needed.

What power supply voltage are you running them on?

What curent setting do you have your pololu drivers running the steppers at?

I think jmgiacalone might have been running his set up at 24V ... I can't remember.

He was using Ramps and The new small Sanguino with a Sanguino sounding name.

I run my Gen3 and Gen2 steppers at an even higer voltage 29-30v.

I have yet to connect up my 4 pololu drivers on to my hombrew RAMPS board hence the Questions.

I run my XY &Z between 250mA to 300mA average curent reading using Gen3 steppers I trimed the curent down from 1A just to keep my stepper motors warm not burning hot to touch.

Bodge It [reprap.org]
=======================================

BIQ Sanguinololu SD LCD board BIQ Stepcon BIQ Opto Endstop
BIQ Heater Block PCB BIQ Extruder Peek clamp replacement BIQ Huxley Seedling
BIQ Sanguinololu mounting BIQ standalone Sanguinololu or Ramps mounting Print It Stick It Cut it

My rep strap: [repstrapbertha.blogspot.com]

Buy the bits from B&Q pipestrap [diyrepstrap.blogspot.com]
How to Build a Darwin without any Rep Rap Parts [repstrapdarwin.blogspot.com]
Web Site [www.takeaway3dtech.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login