Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguino on Ubuntu

Posted by NelsonRap 
Sanguino on Ubuntu
October 13, 2011 11:04PM
So I decided to dual boot my Reprap computer as I could not get the Sanguino to upload firmware, even though I can upload to my Gen6 board fine. The sanguino board simply refuses but it is seen and moves the Prusa using Pronterface.

Anyway as I said I installed Ubuntu and the installed Arduino and then downloaded Sanguino for Linux, but I cannot move the Sanguino folder into the Arduino hardware folder, If I try copy paste the paste option is always greyed out.

Is this just a permissons thing with Ubuntu and if it is can I change them somehow. It's the latest 11.10 ubuntu

October 13, 2011 11:57PM
Press ALT F2 then type in "gksudo nautilus" without the quotes. This will give you administrative rights in the file browser. Just don't use it to much because it is easier than you think to screw up your system by creating files as admin.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Sanguino on Ubuntu
October 14, 2011 01:14AM
Thanks will give it a try next time I head to the workshop

October 14, 2011 06:36AM
Is this the Arduino package coming with Ubuntu's packaging system? Then this is expected.

I have more success with the package downloaded from arduino.cc. No installation needed, just unpack it somewhere convenient. As the user is the owner then, you can also modify it and add mods.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 14, 2011 04:06PM
HI yes I did get it through the Ubuntu software centre

October 16, 2011 10:29PM
Well step one thanks to Traumflug I now have Arduino with Sanguino in its hardware folder and I have Sprinter too once I worked out how to edit a read only file although there must be an easier way. I can't edit it within the Arduino because it is read only. One other thing do I need to install FTDI drivers for the USB port like you do in Windows? and if so how do you do that?

Thanks

October 17, 2011 05:59AM
There's no need for FTDI drivers, the Ubuntu kernel has them already built in.

Regarding the read-only files, well, make them writable. Or start over with downloading/cloning the Github repo, as thery're writable by default.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 17, 2011 01:33PM
chmod 777 [filename] will give you read/write access to all users on your machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 09:23AM by marnargulus.
October 17, 2011 11:26PM
NelsonRap - So are you dual booting to add Ubuntu? If you were able to move the prusa using pronterface, could you let me know what your OS version was, and what version of pronterface?

I've been trying to get my prusa to work with a brand new sanguinololu 1.3a board. I've tried with a windows 7 32-bit, and windows vista and an Ubuntu 32-bit machine. So far, no love. I'd like to replicate what you had setup when you at least got some life from the prusa. Then I'd know I have things hooked up right and haven't fried anything.

Thanks,
Mike
October 18, 2011 01:15AM
Ok here goes its an old pentium 4 with XP pro on it and now Ubuntu as a dual boot. The XP can now see and move the axis using Pronterface and a sanguino 1.3a revision board with Sprinter. I was having problems uploading the firmware with Arduino until I discovered that there is a set of pins between eh driver chips and the main chip that need a jumper on them and now we can upload every time. It's the latest pronterface I think but you need all the other Java files 3 I think that go with it to make it work.

Hope that helps

October 20, 2011 10:34PM
Thanks NelsonRap,

Looks like I'll have to load up a windows XP laptop next. Give that a shot. I'm assuming that it's XP pro with service pack 3?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
October 21, 2011 01:46AM
Yes XP pro SP3

Click here to login