Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hi, and a quick question about stepper motors

Posted by Roboteernat 
Hi, and a quick question about stepper motors
June 14, 2008 06:49PM
Well firstly i will say hi

"hi"

I have been interested in reprap for ages, well the begining of last uni year, i then forgot about it as i was doing my final year project, until i went to the Cheltenham Science Festival (UK) with Walking with Robots (i was making cardboard robot hands fo those who went there) i found the RepRap stand and was amazed about it all again. So this has got me thinking again, and this time i will be getting sorted with one!

Uni has started playing with their laser cutter, which give me another q...

Anyways, this is what i am liking the info too...

A: Will there be laser cut layouts for cutting a reprap on a laser cutter yourself any time soon? Or has the company selling these parts got the right to only have this even though this is a licence free project? I know there is laser things for the making table but i was wondering about the whole thing.

B: The main question really... The stepper motors which are mentioned for use with the reprap machines, they seem to be expensive (UK). are there options for choosing a slightly less expensive type assuming its 1.8* 3/4 coil (forgot which is specified) Coz im trying to get one as cheap as possible, and was thinking about salvadging steppers from machines (bigger than printers). What specs do i need? any cheap sales in UK?

That is all for the moment, i did search the forums and it canme up with nothing that helped me.

Cheers!

Nat grinning smiley
(Plymouth Uni UK)
Ru
Re: Hi, and a quick question about stepper motors
June 15, 2008 05:49AM

Or has the company selling these parts got the right to only have this even though this is a licence free project?

The basic reprap design is unlicensed, but anyone who makes their own plans own sthe rights to them. The notion of derivative works is much fuzzier in hardware land than it is in software land where the GPL was derived.

I suggest you visit bitsfrombytes, and ask them about their plans!

You can always look here: [reprap.org] for publically available designs intended for lasing out of playwood sheets.
June 15, 2008 12:33PM
Ru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
You can always look here:
[reprap.org] for publically available designs intended for lasing out of playwood sheets.

I had a look and downloaded the file, but i cant open it, what file format is it in? or is it one to directly put into the cutter?

Any ideas on the motors we can use for reprap?

Im starting to toy with the idea of making my own RepStrap machine... just looking at making the extruder part grinning smiley I got my arduino (freeduino) in post yesterday so im making a start, if not a 'very long way from the finish' start...

Nat grinning smiley
Ru
June 16, 2008 04:45AM
tgz is a gzipped tar file. *nix machines will have no problem opening it. Windows XP at least needs another app... I use winrar.

The files you want inside are in .eps format, which I imagine can be converted to something you can feed to a laser cutter without too much hassle, assuming it needs to be converted at all. There are also individual parts in .svg format.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login