Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

restore gen6 backup from hex file

Posted by drakedeon 
restore gen6 backup from hex file
January 15, 2012 09:11AM
I have backed up my gen 6 factory firmware with avrdude and have a HEX file.

I'd like to examine the file as I don't know what the factory settings are, if I could read it then I would not need the back up as I could recreate it but as a hex file I can't see what the various parameters are.

Before making changes to sprinter I'd like to know that I can upload the backup in case of problems but I can't find out how to restore the backed up hex file with Arduino.

I have built a Prusa Mendel with Gen 6 Sprinter "out of the box" and I am using pronterface/sfact as my software on windows 7 hhowever I do have access to other operating systems if needed (XP VISTA LINUX).

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.
Re: restore gen6 backup from hex file
January 29, 2012 07:59PM
.hex file is simply a hex dump of the flash with corresponding addresses. You wont find the specific factory settings in the hex file.

For restoring, the following command line should work. i.e., you will simply replace "r" with "w" in the -U option.
avrdude -c avrisp -b 38400 -i 10 -p m644p -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -F -U flash:w:factory_gen6.hex:i

Just remember not to mess with fuse bits, lock bits and the bootloader when using avrdude. If it reports any fuse mismatches and gives you an option to update, select "n".
jahr meme
Re: restore gen6 backup from hex file
March 05, 2012 02:12AM
Could you email me the hex file that you got?

wertthey@yahoo.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login