Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Gen3 firmware update

Posted by j.samuels 
Help with Gen3 firmware update
August 30, 2012 04:28PM
I was given a set of generation 3 “Tech Zone Remix” electronics from a friend who purchased them a long time ago but never used them. I found some documentation for it here:

[reprap.org]
and here:
[reprap.org]

I was able to get the electronics all wired up and connected to my PC, and connect to the electronics using ReplicatorG by choosing “Cupcake” for the machine type - I was told and also read that it comes default with MakerBot firmware, so this seemed to be the correct choice. I wasn’t able to connect with any other machine type, but Cupcake worked and I was able to do some basic tests like jogging the steppers in the machine control panel. However ReplicatorG told me my firmware was out of date (v1.4, recommended v3.0 or newer). On the HowTo page I had read that it needs to have the firmware updated, so I followed all the instructions on [reprap.org] and ran into problems. I couldn’t get the FiveD firmware to compile with the latest Arduino v1.0.1 and Sanguino v23r4 extensions, I believe the specific error complained about ‘Serial1’ not being defined. I spent many hours going over the configuration and code but couldn’t resolve it.
Finally after much effort, I was able to compile the FiveD firmware using Arduino v18 and Sanguino v18r2_1_4. This compiled the FiveD firmware without any errors and I was able to upload the firmware successfully from the Arduino IDE. However now the motherboard presents me with a slowly blinking red light after start up (LED is blinking 1 second on, 1 second off) and ReplicatorG won’t connect anymore.

I’ve also tried compiling the Teacup firmware using the Gen3 configuration, but I can’t seem to get past an error that tells me HEATER_EXTRUDER is not declared.

What can I do to get these electronics working? I see here [reprap.org] that it’s possible to get the “Sprinter” firmware working on this board with some re-wiring, but I’d rather not take that step yet until I figure out what’s wrong with what I have.

Thanks in advance for any help.
VDX
Re: Help with Gen3 firmware update
August 30, 2012 04:51PM
... try with Arduino 0023 or older, there are issues with 1.0 and above ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
August 30, 2012 04:54PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... try with Arduino 0023 or older, there are
> issues with 1.0 and above ...

Yes, I was able to compile with 0018 but after uploading the firmware I get a slow red blinking light from the motherboard and I can no longer connect with ReplicatorG.
VDX
August 31, 2012 02:41AM
... if remembering correct, then this blinking light is the 'heart-beat', showing that the firmware is running.

For connecting you have to set your Baudrate to the same value as specified in the firmware - could be 19200 or 38400 ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
September 04, 2012 04:23PM
Very good, I was able to get this working now by changing the baud rate to match the firmware configuration. Very silly thing to overlook but it's all so complex... smiling smiley

Thanks!
December 09, 2012 09:18AM
Hi,

So as a summary, you are using the 5D firmware, simply changing the baud rate in the software - I think I missed what host software you are using ? pronterface ?

I have the same HEATER_EXTRUDER issue with gen3 config file...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login