Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upload error, stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xee

Posted by CivilEITprint 
Upload error, stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xee
February 04, 2013 05:57PM
Finished building, trying to commission.

Getting this error:
stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xee

configures and saves. Uploads 80% then the above error.
When I modify configuration.h file, the machine does not respond to the changes.

Using Sanuinololu 1.3a, ATmega644P, Arduino 1.0.3, sprinter, pronterface.
I have put the sanguino folder in the Arduino hardware folder.
I have selected the correct board and COM port 4. (Maybe a drive issue here?)

I'm a civil engineer not a computer scientist, so your experience and expertise will be appreciated.
Re: Upload error, stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xee
February 04, 2013 06:03PM
i know that problem happens with standard arduinos when something is stopping the auto restart. Try uploading the firmware and when it finishes compiling and starts uploading hit the reset button.
February 04, 2013 06:06PM
^ Nope. No love yet. Same error.
February 04, 2013 06:42PM
How about the 644P driver? I can not seem to find this on my computer when updating the COM port 4 under device manager? Or should I just use serial port?
February 04, 2013 06:47PM
644P has no driver. The driver is for the FTDI USB to serial chip on the Sanguinololu. Also the Sanguinololu wiki page has some good troubleshooting steps for this issue.
February 04, 2013 06:48PM
Silly question, but are you sure the atmega is running?

If so, there are 2 more thing you can try.

Go through the instructions again ensuring you follow them to the letter.

Or

unplug everything, even the drivers just leave the USB and try again.

Which you do first is up to you.
February 04, 2013 06:51PM
^You mean unplug all from the board except the USB? ^^ You were right about the FTDI. I had seen it uninstalled it and have now reinstalled it. Restarting the PC and will get back to you.
February 04, 2013 08:22PM
Followed the Wiki changed the Board.txt file as described and success. Sort of. That error is gone but now i have "Yikes! Invalid device signature. double check connection and try again, or use -F to override"

Any Ideas?

P.S. Lot of talk all over the place about the 10 sec reset button. According to Wiki this is only for boards older than 1.3a.
February 05, 2013 07:00AM

That error is gone but now i have "Yikes! Invalid device signature. double check connection and try again, or use -F to override"

You've selected a board with another MCU than the 644P.

P.S. Lot of talk all over the place about the 10 sec reset button. According to Wiki this is only for boards older than 1.3a.

You'll get timeout errors if you have to press reset, but didn't.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 05, 2013 01:53PM
Surely that is not it.
Tools --> Board -->Sanguini W/Atmega 644P.

Just like it says on the circuit, I have had this selected the whole time.

Baud rate 115200 in the config.h and 35400 in the board.txt as described in the Wiki.

Are there a set of electronics that are known to work better, synch better, with well documented wiki and youtube videos, more than other boards? The 30+ hours of my time troubleshooting are worth more than some new boards.
February 05, 2013 07:22PM
I use [www.ebay.co.uk] great kit works great. Uploads work every time, they do other kits too if you don't need everything in that one
February 08, 2013 06:46AM
lazzymonk
I use [www.ebay.co.uk] great kit works great.

How does that help for the issue at hand? The Sanguinololu is a nice board and works for hundreds of people.

Surely that is not it.
Tools --> Board -->Sanguini W/Atmega 644P.

Hmm. You get that invalid signature error when the MCU type given to avrdude (the uploading tool) doesn't match what the bootloader reports. In principle it's also possible the mismatch is due to different baud rates given to avrdude and required by the bootloader.

Baud rate 115200 in the config.h and 35400 in the board.txt as described in the Wiki.

config.h doesn't matter so far. I'd use the Blink example coming with Arduino IDE to rule out firmware issues until you have uploading working.

There are different bootloaders floating around, requiring different baud rates. I think you should either ask the vendor for the uploaded bootloader or find the baud rate by testing. 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200 are the ones to test. Shut down Arduino, replace the upload.speed line in boards.txt to each of these values, restart Arduino and try. And let's cross fingers there's a bootloader at all. smiling smiley

If you have a isp programmer like pololu programmer, the best way is downloand AVR Atmel Studio and load the firmware by tools/device programming. In clear chip you should set a very lower clock frequency to set up apropiate fuses, cause of this is that your device have a 16MHz ou 20MHZ cristal, but is not set up to it, so in first step, low frequence, after when you set the device to 16 or 20 MHZ you can work wih 1,8 MZH.of clock in programmer AVr Atmel Studio 6.0 is free and graphical based, powered by Microsoft Visual Studio.
February 13, 2013 09:43AM
Hi I am getting the same error on my Melzi electronics and from the reading I did this can occur if you blow the chip on your board.

I have tried 3 different combinations of Arduino IDE and drivers specific to the 1284p chip on my Melzi and still no luck, also the reset trick.

What I have not been able to find is some information that will allow me to conclusively rule out a defective/shorted/broken chip from the equation so that I dont spend more time trying to fool around with the SW.

Any ideas on how one can do this? Can I measure the resistance/voltage/continuity between two pins on the chip?

Also I have not yet checked the baud rate stuff is there any good wiki's or guides on how to do that? and the same for what Maurilio dos Santos Jr is suggesting?

Kind Regards,

Aitor
February 14, 2013 06:59AM
Well, I do quite a bit of electronics experimenting and so far I never managed to blow an ATmega to a state it no longer responds to a programmer.

One way to make the bootloader and/or firmware unusable is trying to get away without Brown-Out-Detector. Fuses should set the BOD to at least 2.7V, better 4.3V. Without BOD, turning the device off lets the ATmega run havoc for a millisecond or two, often resulting in flash being "programmed" with random data.

My wisdom regarding ATmega programming is written down on the Gen7 page, starting here: [reprap.org]

BTW.: last week or so Gen7 Arduino IDE Support 2.1 was released, AFAIK the only RepRap compatibility package updated to Arduino 1.0.3 so far. Also new are 16MHz bootloaders actually working (inside the package). Gen7 bootloaders and Arduino libraries should work for all other 644/644P/1284P based electronics as well.

I've added a section to the Melzi wiki page: [reprap.org]

February 14, 2013 08:28AM
Hi Traumflug,

Thanks for the info! I will try to reprogram my Melzi when I get home tonight from my exam.

I have been using Arduino IDE 0.23, 1.02, and 1.03 so I dont think thats the problem.

As a bit of background, half way through a print one of my hot end wires came loose so I decided that I would solder it back on. Now being a Noob I a) didnt want to turn the printer off so that it would loose its print position and b) realize that I should disconnect the heater wires from the board before touching it with my ungrounded iron.

I know that was so %^&* stupid of me but it was late at night and I wanted to be done with this print (never good to work when your tired...)

This resulted in a spark at the hotend wire and my above problem where I now cant connect to the printer using Pronterface or the IDE. I did the Melzi test as described in the build wiki and it was all ok. Also externally there seems to be no damage to the board.

But since I was having such trouble uploading to the board even though my PC recognizes the COM port I suspected the 1284P from being kaput.I guess the brown out fuses would not help reduce the damage in this case?

So do you still reckon I can get it working by following your guide?
February 15, 2013 06:42AM

didnt want to turn the printer off so that it would loose its print position

Next time, send M114 to get a position report. Write it down. Then you can turn the printer off and enter the known position with G92 after turning it back on.

And no, if you had sparks, adjusting the BOD won't help.

February 15, 2013 11:02AM
Ok thats good to know but how do I get the print to start from that point again? ie if I set it at the point where it left off and start a print again would it not simply go to the beggining again and reprint what it has already printed?

So do you think I blew my chip? The sparks were between the hot end wire and my ungrounded soldering iron.

If I switch the ATmega1284P chip can I reprogram it through my Melzi's USB or do I need to hook it up to one of thoose serial programers?
mcp
February 15, 2013 04:59PM
Hi,
if you buy a new chip you need to get the bootloader installed. (If don't get one with bootloader already installed)
So normal electronic supplier you get an emty chip. Then you need to use some programmer before you can upload.

cu

Michael
February 15, 2013 05:20PM
Hi thanks for the info!

Ok so maybe I gotta find someone that can do that for me...

Cheers,

Aitor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login