Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken USB port on Melzi

Posted by Fordangerous 
Broken USB port on Melzi
June 10, 2013 06:09AM
Hi All

Due to extreme clumsiness I managed to pull the usb connection off my Melzi board, is it possible to replace it? The wires have snapped where they meet the board, is it possible to buy a new usb connector (I'm assuming I need to remove the wires that run into the board). I'm happy to post pictures if this helps. I'm guessing I'm not the only person this has happened to, I think an easy way to stop this happening is to tie the usb wire round the frame of the printer or even print a special connector.

If the answer is no is it possible to set up a bluetooth module without usb access? Is it possible to update the firmware without usb access?

Thanks
Re: Broken USB port on Melzi
June 10, 2013 06:43PM
You can just order a replacement connector. A little soldering work from your side and it can be fixed.

I wouldn't define ripping off your USB connection as 'clumsy' though winking smiley
June 11, 2013 11:40AM
Wonderful, thanks, can you point me towards a replacement usb connector that would fit on the Melzi board?

My next project will be to design something to stop this happening again.
June 11, 2013 05:10PM
It has the same USB connector as the Leonardo, I have no idea where you can get it, but I can tell you that it's possible to replace it without too much trouble. All you need is a replacement connector, a soldering iron and a steady hand.
June 12, 2013 04:29AM
Thanks for your help, hopefully someone else will know this
June 15, 2013 12:56PM
Have been looking online for a replacement with no luck, anyone know?

Thanks
June 15, 2013 04:08PM
If I have it right, (I'm trying to remember what mine looks like) there are a lot on ebay.

For example one I found.

Item number:110808694625

Or search for "Mini USB SMT PCB Socket"
June 19, 2013 06:39PM
great thanks, have ordered some off amazon, will report back on if it's successful

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 06:53PM by Fordangerous.
July 05, 2013 07:28AM
Still waiting for the parts, ordering from China takes a while...................
July 06, 2013 05:48PM
You also seem to think that what you managed to achieve was quite easy and that lots of people must have done it.

TBH I cannot think of a simple or easy way to end up with a ripped off usb port.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login