Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powering a 12v LED bulb above printer, from a 12v supply?

Posted by RickM 
Powering a 12v LED bulb above printer, from a 12v supply?
April 17, 2014 05:03PM
I know this probably sounds stupid to anyone who knows but I just wanted to make sure this was ok.

I'm in the middle of a delta printer built and my plan was to use low voltage LED strips from Ikea. The only issue I have is they're not very bright.I was wondering if a standard LED bulb would possibly be better assuming I can get a fitting mounted for it?

I'm thinking something like this: [www.screwfix.com]

Assuming I can build a decent mounting area for it, would it be ok hooking this up to my 12v supply, or will it cause issues? (Running a RUMBA if that makes any difference).

Thanks smiling smiley
Re: Powering a 12v LED bulb above printer, from a 12v supply?
April 17, 2014 06:04PM
The way I did it was to just add separate LED's. As a component. Printed some brackets with holes in it so I could insert these LED's in it and clamp it to whatever part of my printer I wanted them to be.

I would not waste my time with putting in such a light bulb, chances are they eat a lot more power from your printer than just a few small LED's.
April 18, 2014 12:08PM
Just kinda depends how much power you have left. That's a 50W bulb so it'll be drawing 4A. Unless that's an equivalence value because 50W from an LED sounds like a lot

I'm using one of these: [www.ikea.com] I had spare. It's only 10W so it's drawing less than an amp. Pretty easy for my PSU to handle that.
April 19, 2014 07:07AM
How bright do you really want the lights? There are some LED strips that can get very bright, but you usually want to made sure they are securely attached to something that will help dissipate excess heat or you'll shorten their life.

I made myself some PCB's measuring 1.4"x3" with 24 of the 5050 SMD LED's that uses 12V @ 0.48A total and one to two of them make a nice bright desk lamp (my favourite one has three plus a LED PWM dimmer which is normally set to about 50%). One thing I like about the board is they aren't a pure point source like a single ultra bright LED, so they soften the shadows. I figure each board is a little under 300 lumens when at full brightness, but they sure seem brighter then that to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login