Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help choosing a control board

Posted by TheSerialHobbyist 
Help choosing a control board
June 09, 2014 04:08PM
Hey guys! So I've decided to build a DIY Taz, and I'm trying to decide on a control board so I can get a complete BOM together.

I've been looking at mostly the Ramps and Rambo boards, but I guess I'm open to really anything. Here's what I want out of it:

• Support for 6 Steppers (4 for X, Y, and Z, 2 for dual extruders)
  • Support for large heated bed (12"x12") through single power supply
  • Works with 24V/17A/400W power supply (I think this is necessary?)
  • Supports LCD and running from SD (so I can add that later)
  • Is common/popular so I can find documentation and support

Based on my research, I think both the Ramps and Rambo boards will do that, but I'm a little confused about how each work.

Does the Rambo version matter? 1.2A boards are cheap on Ebay, but Ultimachine has the 1.2H for twice as much. What's the difference?

Also, I was looking at this heatbed: [www.ebay.com]

And they say it requires a separate power supply. Why? Is it simply impossible to use a single power supply with a heatbed that large?

For Ramps, could someone recommend a good kit or set of parts? Either separately or together as a kit, it doesn't really matter. Cost is the key. I don't need the LCD right now, so just the Arduino, the Ramps board, whatever stepper drivers are required, and anything else I may need (for instance, to control the heat bed).

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous User
Re: Help choosing a control board
June 11, 2014 04:39PM
This may not answer your question(s) fully, but I hope that it will give you a start... winking smiley

A buddy of mine is also building his own RepRap style of the TAZ and would like to put it up for sale some day. We have discussed over and over which board to go with, as there are so many to choose from out there. Anyway, he decided that he is going to use the Megatronics board. When you look at the BOM for the TAZ, they clearly say that the RAMBO is their electronics board of choice. I like the RAMBO and was going to start building them myself for sale, but decided not to. I like the idea of having everything embeded into one single board. I think it's much cleaner and does not require you to have a separate hardware (Arduino Mega 2560). One thing I don't like about it is that if you "burn" one of the stepper drivers on the RAMBO, you would be stuck with either trying to "desolder" the chip and replace it, or buy a new complete board (which is probably what most folks would do) for another $150 or so.

On the RAMPS or Megatronics, if you burn one of the Stepper drivers, it's easily replacable. You simply buy another stepper driver board (some are really cheap now for as low as $3.00 (StepSticks) each on eBay). Meaning, you don't have to desolder anything and try to put the chip back in (which by the way these chips are really tiny and has a very fine pitch), or you won't have to purchase a new board and spend another $150. One last thing, I also read somewhere that the RAMBO is only capable of 1/8 microstepping while the RAMPS and Megatronics is at 1/16 (I am not 100% fully sure yet on this though). Anyways, just having the thought of having to replace the whole board when one driver blows, got my buddy convinced to not go with the RAMBO.

I have seen a long list of debate between the RAMPS and RAMBO, and they continue to get longer. I guess it's just really up to you. Are you planning on selling your printer(s) or are they primarily just for you to use?

Take care.

Romel
June 12, 2014 10:48AM
Thank you for the response! I essentially came to the same conclusion. RAMPS is cheaper, and modular so I can replace components if they break. I think it will meet my needs just fine.

Are you planning on selling your printer(s) or are they primarily just for you to use?

I don't have any plans to sell them, this is really just for my own use. Although if there was interest I suppose I could sell them. Right now my plans are just to build it for myself, and make the BOM public and give build instructions and what not on my website.
Anonymous User
June 12, 2014 06:09PM
Yeah, RAMPS is designed really well in my opinion, and as you said, very modular indeed. I don't think it's gonna go away anytime soon. Well good luck on your TAZ and I think you made the right choice of sticking with RAMPS. If you do decide to sell them, let me know if you need some US made RAMPS boards.... I sell them... =) Take care.
June 13, 2014 10:17AM
Awesome, thanks!
Anonymous User
June 20, 2014 06:03PM
By the way, don't know if you already have this, but I thought I just bring this up to you. My buddy got this info directly from LulzBot as he is also trying to make his own version of the TAZ. Take care and good luck.

Here is a link to all the assembly instructions for our latest TAZ4. (They are broken down into sub assemblies)
[ohai-kit.alephobjects.com]
June 23, 2014 11:29AM
I've used both Mega/Minitronics. They're both well built. Megatronics is better for easy fixing if a driver burns, as previously stated. I would highly recommend getting extra fuse(s) with the board. It's not related to the board, the fuses do their job the way they should, but for myself being US based shipping standard has lost a package from them [haven't looked into it yet] and tracked shipping is insanely expensive for just fuses.
Both boards, besides my stupid mistakes blowing a fuse or two, work well. Solid and reliable. Haven't played with much else so I can't compare with other boards.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 24, 2014 10:36AM
Thanks! I went ahead and got an Ultimachine RAMPS board.

I finished building the printer, so I'll be doing the electronics/wiring over the next day or two.
Anonymous User
June 26, 2014 07:09PM
MrDoctorDIV:

Thanks for your input on the Megatronics. I actually decided to build these boards as opposed to the RAMBO. Part of the reason is that the Megatronics boards have components that are identical to RAMPS. Since I'm already making RAMPS, most of the parts can be transfered over to Tronics... smiling smiley which will make assembly a whole lot easier. However, the main reason is because of what I had mentioned above. I just can't imagine what my clients' reactions would be if I told them that they have to pay me another $150 or so if they blow a driver.... I can bet you that none of them will come back and buy from me again..... Anyway, thanks kindly for the input. Maybe it's a good idea for me to keep some spare parts in the shop just in case someone ends up looking for these fuses you mentioned.... smiling smiley Take care.

Romel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login