Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New soldering iron, questions

Posted by UkIan 
New soldering iron, questions
October 27, 2014 05:21PM
Bought a new soldering iron as my old one died a month ago. It's a soldering station with a little display. First, omg it warms up fast. I thought it was broken or I was reading it wrong, but 0-300 took about five seconds.

I've not had one with variable heat before, so I'm a little unsure what temperature to set it for for normal soldering. What are sensible settings you would use daily?
VDX
Re: New soldering iron, questions
October 27, 2014 06:48PM
... 300-350degC for solder containing lead, until 400 for lead-free ones -- depends on the wire diameter and 'thermal mass' of the pads ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 27, 2014 07:38PM
I use 300 to 320 for leaded solder, and a little higher (but no more than 350) for unleaded.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 28, 2014 05:26AM
Perfect thanks that will get me going smiling smiley
November 26, 2014 12:35AM
Huh... I may have to revisit my heat setting choice. I just got my first regulated soldering station not too long ago and wasn't very impressed with it's performance over a standard iron. I always used the biggest iron I could fit into the space I needed, typically a 20W to 30W with a filed down tip. Wasn't until I turned my heat setting up to 370°F that I was happy with how the new iron worked - using standard 60/40 solder. I found with the lower setting that I had to hold the iron at the joint longer than I was comfortable with to get a nice joint. Maybe my solder is crap?
November 26, 2014 04:29AM
Do you really mean 370F, or do you mean 370C ?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 26, 2014 02:30PM
Oops. Yes I mean 370°C.
December 02, 2014 03:52AM
3 to 5 seconds are entirely fine for a solder joint. Given that most components are made for surviving soldering in a hot air oven it became almost impossible to break them by overheating with an iron.

If your solder melts but doesn't flow, it's more likely that your board needs better cleaning. Or you have solder with not sufficient flux inside, there are ones with 1%, 2% and 3% flux embedded. I prefer 3%, but 2% is also usable.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login