Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use Arduino mega 2560 instead of Freaduino Hephestos

Posted by supernielsen 
Use Arduino mega 2560 instead of Freaduino Hephestos
February 05, 2015 07:45AM
Hi everyone, im new to this forum just started today, so i hope that i am posting in the right section. smiling smiley

The thing is that me and a friend of mine is building an 3d printer, a Prusa I3 Hephestos to be exact, i were looking at the parts, and decided that it was the time to order the mega 2560 and ramp.
Then i saw that it is "using" a more expensive version called freaduino 2560.

Can i without any problems at all use the standard arduino board, and the standard ramp ? Or am i forced to use the freaduino?

Looking forward to hear from you smiling smiley
Re: Use Arduino mega 2560 instead of Freaduino Hephestos
February 05, 2015 11:49AM
The original Arduino is opensource hardware based on the Atmel Mega 2560 (?) chip. Buying an original board from Arduino runs $50 - $60 but supports the developer.

Everything else is primarily cheap clones, most of which sadly call themselves Arduino's and even use the Made an Italy silk screening, which is slightly dishonest depending on your personal belief's on the matter. Other companies have started to rebrand their boards to distinguish them from the official Arduino boards (i.e. Freaduino).

Any Mega2560 board should work fine as the brains of your i3, though the manufacturing quality (solder and components used on the board) is questionable and should be researched if you are not using an original Arduino.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 11:50AM by Kurzaa.
February 05, 2015 12:03PM
The problem is that this prusa i3 printer, called hephestos is made to use the freaduino board, due to the upgrades, most importantly i think the 3 to 5 volt switch, and that it can output 2 amps on 5 volt.

If i get the freaduino mega board, can i then use and original ramp on top, or do i have to switch ? )
February 05, 2015 12:18PM
Just did a quick search on Freaduino. It appears that the form factor is the same as an Arduino Mega2560, so it should work with a standard RAMPs board.

Neither the 3.3V option or the 2A current should have any impact on the RAMPs board, they are more aimed at other uses for the board. For instance, adding 3.3V components or attempting to control servos / motors directly off of the Freaduino's power supply. The RAMPs board has its own powersupply for the stepper motors, hotend, and optional heat bed, plus it relies on traditional 5V logic.

The main difference you might encounter between using the more expensive Freaduino and a cloned Arduino is the overall quality of the board. Though I am not familiar with Freaduino and just use the cheap Arduino clone that came with my printer.
February 05, 2015 12:21PM
The stepper motors on this is rated 2.5 amps so i think its safe or safer to use the freaduino (is that correct thinking)

If i buy this more expensive board, can i then put a normal ramp on top ?

Sorry if you already answered that, just wanna be completely sure.. smiling smiley
February 05, 2015 12:32PM
The stepper motors will be run by the 12V 5A power supply that you plug into the RAMPs board. They are not powered by the Mega2560.

A normal RAMPs board will work with either a traditional Mega2560 or the Freaduino Mega2560. To run the board using the Freaduino, you will need to make sure the Freaduino is set to 5V, not 3.3V.

Also, the pots on the stepper motor drivers, which plug into the RAMPs board, are generally turned down to around an amp of power. This should be more than enough power for your stepper motors. Pushing the full 2A (A4988) or 2.5A (DRV8811) that the chips are able to process risks overheating the chips. Side topic, not related to your original questions.
February 05, 2015 12:36PM
I think its pretty related to the topic, because the boards click together and controls the motor ! smiling smiley
February 05, 2015 01:14PM
I think i will go with the freaduino mega board, and then and original ramp board due to your explananation i dont know what else to do, i think its a very confused thing i got myself into.. smiling smiley

But thanks for your help, if some problems cross your mind, i would gladly appreciate it smiling smiley
February 05, 2015 01:19PM
You could always choose to use a modern 32-bit controller board such as the Duet or Smoothie instead of that ancient 8-bit solution. The benefits include a web interface, smoother motion, digital control of stepper motor currents, native (faster) USB interface, and built-in SD card. The main advantage of Arduino/RAMPS is that it is very cheap if you buy cloned boards instead of the originals.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 05, 2015 02:00PM
As dc42 mentioned, going with a 32-bit smoothie board is an option. I thought I saw an Alibaba clone for $50ish in the general thread (under Smoothie Hardware Alternatives). It should last you longer at this point then the Arduino + RAMPS, though with a cartisian printer like the i3 you are probably fine sticking with the 8-bit platform.

Sorry if I confused you with the Arduino v. Freaduino comparission.

If this is your first printer, depending on how much you have invested so far, you might be better off purchasing an established kit. All the components come from one supplier who can send replacements if something is defective. Single point of contact for support. And you get the experience of putting the printer together without facing the seemingly difficult questions such as which board to purchase. Often buying individual parts from multiple sources will cost you almost as much as a kit, especially once you figure in shipping and handling plus any import taxes.
February 05, 2015 04:16PM
I know what you are saying about the price, i live in Denmark in EU i have some good contacts, and i can actually save around 2000dkk which is about 308 dollars smiling smiley

and i think its a bit of the fun too, assembling it yourself.. smiling smiley I already got some components but i havent paid much i get plenty of the stuff for almost nothing smiling smiley

But i really appreciate your inputs, and im looking forward to become very active in this forum grinning smiley
February 06, 2015 07:17AM
So i did buy the freaduino board, and a clone original ramp, so i hope it works i got all the step drivers, and endstops.
The extruder is on its way, next is the nema 17 2.5a engines.. grinning smiley
February 06, 2015 02:10PM
I am sure everything will work fine for you, good luck though.
February 06, 2015 03:19PM
Im crossing my fingers for the ramp board will work with the freaduino..

We are making two printer would it be correct to assume, that the ramp controls the power, and therefore i can without any problems use the normal arduino mega 2560 and ramp for the second one..?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login