Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper motor jerk / skipping steps /

Posted by tleneel 
Stepper motor jerk / skipping steps /
April 09, 2015 06:30AM
Hey,
I seem to some "ripple" effect on all my axis. It is more visible on the extruder as it is pushing the material very slowly.
I am using an azteeg X3 V2 with the DV8825 digipot with 32micro-stepping with marlin. 24V power supply (tried 12V as well). Motors are 1.7A, and I am running the digipots at 1.7A.

I the modded the stepper by putting the decay pin to +5V, it seems to work when outside the printer, but when everything is connected it doesn't work. The motors don't turn at all or the micro stepping isn't respected, in one case I actually fried the azteeg...

I looked in marlin to control the decay pin, but no pins are declared. I tried to contact pannucatt with no news.

I used un-modded A4988, skipping steps as well.

Am I really the only one that is skipping steps? or nobody as noticed it yet? (with no mods, outside of the machine, it is skipping steps).
Is it software related? Can I change something in marlin? or is it electronic?

Links for my research :
[hydraraptor.blogspot.fr]
[reprap.harleystudio.co.za]

The steps are visible on the 3D printed parts because I am using direct drive with no gearbox (I suspect that people with a wade extruder are not seeing this problems as you have a ratio).

Any tips?
Re: Stepper motor jerk / skipping steps /
April 13, 2015 07:52AM
Ok so I did a bit more tests,
Micro-stepping 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 skip steps with an unmolested SD8825. When the decay pin is connected to +5V it doesn't move. I still don't understand why it is skipping steps..really annoying.
Micro-stepping in 1/32 with a modded SD8825 works fine. Top speed is very limited.

Azteegs aren't actually fried, it was just the SD8825; still unclear of why they stopped working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login