Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Errors trying to connect to a controller board using host software

Posted by theorbtwo 
Errors trying to connect to a controller board using host software
July 14, 2008 05:58PM
The first test (power) passes fine on this board, but I'm having problems with the PIC tests. The debug LED comes on ok. When trying to run the Stepper exerciser the software hangs. With debugging on in the software, it just repeats "Receive error, re-sending: Timeout receiving byte" over and over.

I'm using a vmware machine to boot the reprap dvd iso to use the host software, as gettign it installed on a real machine is proving fairly impossible. I ruled out problems with the VM by booting the iso once on a real machine.

Any ideas?

DEBUG: Opening port /dev/ttyS0 [0.000s/-1216068695873ms]
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
comms: tx 0->8: 0 [0.098s/98ms]
Receive error, re-sending: Timeout receiving byte
comms: tx 0->8: 0 [0.401s/303ms]
Receive error, re-sending: Timeout receiving byte
comms: tx 0->8: 0 [0.705s/304ms]

[www.flickr.com] (Image of board)
Re: Errors trying to connect to a controller board using host software
July 15, 2008 08:55PM
Run the poke utility to check that the boards are actually able to be talked to or run the attached script to get more human readable results. You may have to right click on it and go to the Permissions tab of the Properties and make it executable.

If it says that that all the correct boards are connected and communicating then you'll need to try a different DVD.

The 0.7 version of the LiveDVD has a bit of a problem with the RXTX software I think which I haven't had a chance to figure out yet. The 0.6 version works fine so download that instead.

If, you don't get that all the correct boards are connected then its a hardware problem and I'll let others try and solve that for you.
Attachments:
open | download - detect-boards.sh (1.7 KB)
Re: Errors trying to connect to a controller board using host software
July 16, 2008 03:11PM
The script simply waits there forever. Running poke directly, as echo 0 | poke -t /dev/ttyS0 -v -d 2, outputs "<54><51><31><02><00><00>", and then sits forever. Setting up a loopback through just the powercomms board gives, as I expected, that none of the boards are detected. I'm fairly certian it's a hardware problem with the universal controller board under test. (That is, I'm stuck at [reprap.org].)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login