Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet 0.8.5 z probe connector

Posted by mhackney 
Duet 0.8.5 z probe connector
October 09, 2015 05:36PM
I'm commissioning a delta with a Duet. I have everything almost buttoned up and then realized I did not jot down the pin assignments of the z probe connector (4 pins). I'm interfacing FSRs using the little JohnSL FSR Board (which I
ve used on 4 other deltas running smoothie boards). The device has 3 wires: +, - and signal and looks basically like mechanical endstop to the controller. Anyone have the pin assignments handy?

thanks,
Michael
Re: Duet 0.8.5 z probe connector
October 09, 2015 05:57PM
Don't use the Z probe connector, that's for an analog Z probe. Use the E0 endstop connector instead. Be sure to get the right pin connections, they are different form RAMPS and probably different from Smoothie as well. In your M558 command in config.g use parameter P4 X0 Y0 Z0 (i.e. probe type 4, not used for homing any axes). The Z probe readout from the web interface should be 0 when the probe is not triggered and 1000 when it is.

In the G30 commands in your bed.g file, you can use the H parameter to compensate for the FSRs giving a different trigger height depending on where on the bed you prober, which I understand is common when using FSRs.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 09, 2015 06:22PM
Thanks David. I thought the dedicated connector also supported digital probes too?

Not sure what you mean about having a different trigger height depending on bed probe position. I've not encountered that anywhere and my machines calibrate nicely with Pilot626's special smoothie calibration build. I'm curious to learn more if you have a link.

Cheers,
Michael
October 09, 2015 06:25PM
and just to verify (don't want to blow a board!)...

looking at the stepper/end stop connector: the stepper pins are on the left (with the connectors oriented dow, ET and USB ports on the right). From there, the 3 end stop pins are left to right Signal, +3.3V, Ground. Correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 06:30PM by mhackney.
October 09, 2015 07:08PM
Well, I forged ahead - carefully - and the FSRs are working! Now on to learning how to calibrate with your firmware.
October 10, 2015 03:23AM
Glad its working. I suggest you test the FSR trigger height like this. Lower the nozzle in 0.025mm steps until it just grips a sheet of paper. Remove the paper, send G92 Z0, then G30 S-1. Read off the Z coordinate to get the trigger height, which will be negative. Repeat for different probe points. I think you will find the trigger height is lowest at the centre of the bed, and highest when probing close to one of the FSRs.

Delta configuration and calibration instructions for RepRapFirmware are at [reprap.org].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 12, 2015 08:14PM
Quick update - the Duet and RepRapFirmware ala dc42 is doing great. Calibration was a snap. I have a Kossel250 (bigger diameter kossel) and created a little Python script to generate the bed probe points (13 of them). I need to do a couple of quick edits to the script and I'll post it in a few places. It generates the actual lines of gcode for the points so it is easy to copy & paste into bed.g.

This was the easiest delta calibration/commissioning I've ever done - and I've done 8 on various ombinations of hardware: RAMBo, RAMPS, Azteeg X3 Pro, Smoothie, Beagle Bone Black and shield and firmware : Repetier, Marlin Smoothie, MachineKit and now RepRapFirmware.
October 12, 2015 08:33PM
After calibrating I edited homedelta.g to speed homing up. But, I can not upward the file through the web interface - the upload dialog allows me to select the file and then I get the web page dialog that is stuck on Uploading File(s) 0% Complete. I have let it go for 5 minutes and it doesn't time out. I have to click Cancel. I can upload config.g and bed.g without a problem - even immediately after a failed attempt with homedelta.g
October 13, 2015 03:07AM
Are you able to upload the sample homedelta.g file from my repo? If yes, please email me the one that won't upload. If no, try putting your SD card in a PC and running chkdsk.

October 13, 2015 10:24AM
I was not able to upload your homedelta.g either. I was able to copy direct to the SD card. I verified the file permissions are exactly the same for all the files in /sys (rwx for all user groups). chkdsk was fine. An odd little issue!

Now another question - What's good, great and excellent in terms of calibration after running a G32? What should one expect for convergence +/- .005? or better?
October 13, 2015 11:16AM
Are you using latest firmware, which is version 1.09k-dc42?

Just a thought: if you reset the Duet and then try to upload homedelta.g without trying to home the printer first, does it upload ok? The only other thing I can think of is that the name homedelta.g requires long filename support to work, whereas config.g and bed.g don't. Can you upload gcode files with long names on the Files tab?

The reported RMS error after calibration will depend on how many more probe points you have than factors you are calibrating. With 6 factor calibration and 10 points for a small bed or 13 for a large one, 0.05mm is good IMO.

October 13, 2015 11:27AM
Firmware is "j" so I will update to "k"

I reset (power down/on) and immediately attempted to upload homedelta.g and it fails the same way.

I can not upload homedelta.g in the G-Code GFiles tab but I CAN upward a file named 1-Reel-Bck-Plate.gcode. So long filenames at least for gcode upload work.
October 13, 2015 11:56AM
Ok, I updated to the k version of the firmware. I still have the problem. I also discovered that pause.g, resume.g, retractprobe.g and deployprobe.g will not upload.

I added NoEndstops.g and it uploads fine as does bed.g and my special copy bed-check.g and config.g

They all have exactly the same file permissions. I even tried a different CF card. This is an odd one!
October 13, 2015 11:57AM
Ok let's try to pin this down. Take a file you can upload, rename it homedelta.g, and try to upload it. Also take homedelta.g, rename it to a filename you have uploaded before, and try uploading it.

October 13, 2015 12:50PM
Done -

renamed config.g to homedelta.com and it uploaded fine

renamed homedelta.g to NoEndstops.g and it does not upload
October 13, 2015 12:52PM
I've looked at config.g and homedelta.g in a hex editor and there are no oddities. They both use 0x0A for line terminators and there are no extra control characters in homedelta.g
October 13, 2015 12:53PM
Can you attach the homedelta.g that won't upload?

October 13, 2015 12:55PM
I've created a new file named homedelta.g and typed this into it:

G91
G1 S1 X320 Y320 Z320 F2500
G1 S2 X-3 Y-3 Z-3
G1 S1 X6 Y6 Z6 F250
G1 Z-5 F2000
G90
G1 X0 Y0 F2000

It also does not upload!
October 13, 2015 01:00PM
homedelta.g

Here you go. I emailed a copy to you as well.
October 13, 2015 01:06PM
Ok, this is just too odd!

I renamed config.g to homedelta.g and it uploads fine. I then deleted it's contents and the empty file uploads fine. I then manually typed this gcode into the file:

G91
G1 S1 X320 Y320 Z320 F2500
G1 S2 X-3 Y-3 Z-3
G1 S1 X6 Y6 Z6 F250
G1 Z-5 F2000
G90
G1 X0 Y0 F2000

and it does not upload.

I then deleted everything and saved and successfully uploaded the empty file. Then I added only the line G91 to the file and it will not upload! Nor will a file with a single comment "; this is a test"

I'm stumped.

The only pattern I see is file size. The files that don't upload are all small.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 01:07PM by mhackney.
October 13, 2015 01:11PM
Well, that's it - file size. This:

; Configuration file for Mini Kossel kit from Think3DPrint3D

; Communication and general
M111 S0 ; Debug off
M550 Kossel250 ; Machine name and Netbios name (can be anything you like)
M551 XXXXXXX ; Machine password (used for FTP)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 PXXX.XXX.X.XXX ; IP address (0 = use DHCP)
M554 PXXX.XXX.X.XXX ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M555 P2 ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves
M575 P1 B57600 S1 ; Set auxiliary serial port baud rate and require checksum (for PanelDue)

; Axis and motor configuration
M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S0 ; Drive 3 (extruder) goes backards
M569 P4 S1 ; Drive 4 goes forwards
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S1 ; set endstop configuration (all endstops at high end, active high)
;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it du

Will not upload. Add 1 character anywhere in the file and it will upload fine!

EDIT: I redacted the file to remove my IP addresses and password

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 01:18PM by mhackney.
October 13, 2015 01:15PM
1376 bytes is the magic number. Any file that or larger uploads. I simply added a bunch of garbage comments to homedelta.g to get it over 1376 bytes and it uploads fine.
October 13, 2015 02:16PM
Actually in my case the Duet and RepRapFirmware is working without any problem. I am working on Kossel250 and make a program using Python script to generate the bed probe points.
I need to do a couple of quick edits to the script and I'll post it in a few places.
It generates the actual lines of gcode for the points so it is easy to copy & paste into bed.g.
It is the easy method of doing calibration.
October 13, 2015 04:12PM
Thanks mhackney, now I know what to investigate.

October 13, 2015 04:14PM
Meanwhile, I have the printer commissioned and calibrated and just about ready to start my first print. Calibration is very fast, I will likely add a G32 to my gcode initialization and calibrate before every run. I am really looking forward to this first print.

A question on PanelDue - the messages get truncated. Have you thought about wrapping them? I would be interested in taking this on as my first project if it makes sense.
October 13, 2015 04:28PM
Yes I would like to wrap the messages to at least 2 lines, but I have more pressing work on the PanelDue firmware, in particular I have two users who need support for more than two extruders.

October 13, 2015 04:29PM
Ok, I am likely doing something wrong. I run a calibration and everything is fine. When I print, the nozzle crashes into my bed. I rehomed and then lowered the nozzle using the panel buttons. It looks like z=0 is about 5.25mm (a guess based in a quick move down) ABOVE where the machine thinks it is. I've looked at the homedelta.g file and there there are some Z moves to get the carriages off the endstops and a 5mm downward move to allow for centering the head. Any recommendations?
October 13, 2015 04:35PM
Have you upgraded to firmware 1.09k yet?

October 13, 2015 04:36PM
Yes, I've done that as reported above. The issue still stands with the small file uploads.
October 13, 2015 04:47PM
Ok, perhaps I understand the issue with Z height. Here is what's in homedelta.g:

G1 S1 X320 Y320 Z320 F2500	; move all carriages up 320mm, stopping at the endstops
G1 S2 X-3 Y-3 Z-3			; move all carriages down 3mm
G1 S1 X6 Y6 Z6 F250			; move carriages slowly up 6mm, stopping at the endstops
G1 Z-5 F2000				; down a few mm so that we can centre the head
G90							; back to absolute positioning
G1 X0 Y0 F2000				; centre the head and set a reasonable feed rate

Here's what I get with M665 after calibration:
M665
Diagonal 288.00, delta radius 182.13, homed height 261.10, bed radius 105.0, X -0.10°, Y 0.11°, Z 0.00°

So, I'm hypothesizing, I need to subtract 3mm + 5mm (the offset moves in homedelta.g from the homed height to get an actual homed height of 253.1. Is this correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 09:07PM by mhackney.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login