Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird Manual Movement issues - RUMBA W/ MARLIN

Posted by Justsomeguy1983 
Weird Manual Movement issues - RUMBA W/ MARLIN
December 12, 2015 12:26PM
So I have a geetech rumba board set up with 5 Chinese drv8825 drivers for my P3Steel frame (which I haven't gotten yet). I decided to hook everything up and ops check the motors spin and whatnot...

I set up the rumba with the latest RC3 because I couldn't get the non dev version to compile when I enabled DUAL Z Stepper Drivers. (I know I can run the z axis off of a single driver, but this is how I want to do it)

I edited the code to set Z2 > E2 instead of the default E1 in the case I want to add a second extruder.

Everything compiles and loads great. I set up octoprint on my odroid xu4 and I can connect to the RUMBA just fine, I can enable disable fans and heaters. Heatbed PID auto tune works great.. Etc.
I have no limit switches installed yet. i tried to move the drives and it indicated that it was agains a limit switch. So I inverted the logic. I reconnected and can move X and Y AXIS' reliably, but NOT Z AXIS. The motors would start to move for a split second after I clicked the Z axis move button then stop suddenly. Not to respond again. And oddly after trying to move the Z motors neither X or Y axis motors would work after that. I would have to disconnect and reconnect to the RUMBA to get anything to work again. But it would exhibit the same behavior. Z being very flakey, and rendering all motors dead after the attempt to move the Z motors.

Ive done the usual swapping of motors and drivers but the problem persists. This problem still exists without drivers in the Z and E2 spots on the RUMBA (I thought that the drivers may have been throwing a fault and disabling all drivers on the RUMBA (not knowing exactly how the FLT pins operate on the DRV8825 chips))

I've tried pronterface host. I've tried slowing baud rate down to 115200. No change in failure modes.

I'm leaning towards a firmware problem, it seems like it's somehow chocking up on the Z axis commands and freezing.

That's why I'm here! Please help!
Re: Weird Manual Movement issues - RUMBA W/ MARLIN
December 13, 2015 11:24AM
Update:

I've tried repetier firmware and have the same issue! Blows my mind. I can swap drv8825s around and problem stays on RUMBA Z port. Then I swapped Z and Y pins in pins.h (Back to merlin) and now the Y port is doing it. I'm flabbergasted. Maybe just poor performance specs on my drivers, but only when they are doing Z moves?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login