Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stepper motor board

Posted by Neil 
stepper motor board
July 25, 2008 04:48AM
Hi there.

I've started building a reprap machine using the bits from bytes kit and the rrrf kit and have stumbled across a problem.

I have souldered the motor control boards and am confident they are fine. I have downloaded the Arduino software and it appears to be working. When i connect the boards the three leds light. Then when i upload the test program on the drive board page the leds flash orange with the ocasional green. When i connnect the motor one of the leds stops flashing (led2) and the other continues. The motor does not turn.

Is there something im missing and can anybody help me with a possible solution?

thanks Neil
sid
Re: stepper motor board
July 25, 2008 07:31AM
check if you wired the motor correctly
if you're confident with the wiring check the board again for dry joints

'sid
July 28, 2008 07:46AM
I checked the soldering on the boards and got all three working however whole testing the third board (its always the last one!) something stopped working as the leds at the end of the board will not come on at all.. I have tested the chip on the other boards and it seems to be fine. Is there any components that cause problems with failures or is it a case of trial and error?

Look forward to a reply.

Neil
sid
July 28, 2008 08:53AM
check diodes 2 and 6 (both large, both 5404) I think one of them is either damaged by heat (those thick wires are not easy to solder with low powered(<25W) soldering irons without the diode getting too hot) or has a cold joint or worse a broken solderpad

or (i don't hope so) the l298 itself is damaged

'sid

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2008 08:54AM by sid.
July 28, 2008 09:32AM
Checked the diodes and all are fine.

Joints are all soldered nicely. Any body any other suggestions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login