Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pulling factory firmware off a Melzi [SOLVED] Thanks Dust!

Posted by spechter 
Pulling factory firmware off a Melzi [SOLVED] Thanks Dust!
February 14, 2017 06:52AM
Really an excuse to thank @Dust for a very helpful necro-thread here: [forums.reprap.org]

I have a cheap Chinese Prusa i3 variant almost exactly as here: [www.amazon.com]

Shipped with a Melzi Ardentissimo (eBay hybrid), as described here: [reprap.org]

With the Melzi board stamped rp3d.com, shown here: [www.rp3d.com]

And the instructions with the kit say "Firmware is customised. DON'T LOAD ANY OTHER FIRMWARE".
And also fails to supply said firmware in either binary or source format.
And doesn't answer any emails.

Anyhoo, I am at the point I want to tweak firmware - Temperature control is terrible, one z-axis stepper back-slides slightly (Need to lock steppers between steps?)

To cut a long story short - I wanted to make a backup of the factory firmware, because I have no idea how 'customised' it is.

Thanks to Dust at that old thread, I figured I could pull the factory firmware down with the following commands on a Mac / OSX.
Just referencing the details here in case a Google keyword search should lead anyone else here:

I (think I?) needed to add support for the Melzi (Sanguino compatible?) into the Arduino tool-chain, as described here, again by @Dust:
[forums.reprap.org]

Then this on my Mac:

cd /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr
./bin/avrdude -C etc/avrdude.conf -p atmega1284p -c avrisp -P /dev/cu.usbserial-A9022DSM -b 57600 -U flash:r:melziflash.hex:i

For some reason avrdude on Mac has trouble finding it's config file, thus the '-C ' option.
Your serial port spec will probably vary.
Experimented to find a baud rate that worked - 57600. Third try lucky.

The smile on my face when it finally worked...
Sensible trace messaging. Dumps a 310k file. Happy days.

It was a lot of research for me muddling to reach this point. Which is why I am pulling it all together.

Thanks again @Dust! (And others)
Love your work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 09:38AM by spechter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login