Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RADDS extension update?

Posted by Timpanogos Slim 
RADDS extension update?
May 26, 2019 01:37AM
I realize that RADDS is so 2015. But it seems like there are a lot of them out there, firmware support is only improving, and for many there aren't compelling reasons to upgrade from them. A radds plus the v3 extension board also appears to be one of the cheapest ways to have 9 stepper drivers if you are doing something like Z leveling with 3 z steppers and 4 extruders.

Much cheaper than a duet and extension for the duet anyway.

With the maturation of the ESP3D project I thought it would be pretty neat to have a neat and tidy way to mount an ESP8266 module or better yet ESP32 module to my RADDS.

Imagine my disappointment when, v3 extension in hand, i discover that the headers don't match any of the, what, 5 different nodemcu style development boards i have.

It fits the v0.9 nodemcu board from 2014.

You can still get those but they probably have a 512KB version of the esp12 module on them that can't support esp3d. I did find an aliexpress seller that sells the v0.9 carrier board with no esp8266 module and the usb interface and voltage regulator, so in theory you wouldn't have to desolder the original esp module from your oldschool nodemcu to put a 4MB esp12f on it.

I will probably get out the perfboard and hand-wire an interposer that lets me use one of the esp32 development boards i have here, since it is so much faster than the 8266.

On top of that, it seems that on the v3 extension, the 3.3v rail is actually tied to pin 25 for some reason? per this marlin issue:

[github.com]

radds.org is down (AGAIN!) but assuming that the diptrace or whatever files for the v3 extension are floating around somewhere, I'm not useless in kicad and it seems like laying out a new extension board with headers for whatever the probable anointed esp32 development module is, and corrected 3.3v pin, wouldn't be a big deal.

But is there any interest?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login