Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A4983 based StepStick - poor motor performance

Posted by Sailing_Nut 
A4983 based StepStick - poor motor performance
January 03, 2013 10:02AM
Hi all,

I just purchased several StepSticks based on the A4983 driver and hooked one up to a stepper that I have. When running the motor with my Arduino for testing the motor does not run smoothly at all.

I really don't have any idea how to go about troubleshooting what the exact problem is so that I can figure out a fix for the problem.

A little more information, I'm using NEMA 17 sized motors (not that that should make a huge difference) that are 6 wire bipolar rated at 2A / coil. I connected only the two ends of each coil to the StepStick and left the center taps not connected. I'm using an old PC power supply with the motor powered from the +12V rail and the rest of the electronics powered from the +5V rail.

My Arduino sketch is really simple, it just runs the motor in one direction at a constant speed.

TIA for any and all help! I'll also gladly accept links to good "for dummies" type sites to help me out. (I do have a degree in electrical engineering but I've been in pure software for about 18years, so things are very rusty!)
Re: A4983 based StepStick - poor motor performance
January 04, 2013 06:43AM
Did you adjust the trimpots on the StepSticks? See [reprap.org]

There are also reports on unreliable StepSticks. Like only 2 of 4 actually working. So you might want to try more than one.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 04, 2013 02:25PM
Thanks Traumflug!

I tried the procedure and no luck. It just won't settle in. :-(

I'll try one of the other boards to see if that helps.
January 20, 2013 09:20PM
Do they have jumpers for microstepping?
January 21, 2013 06:03AM
Jumpers for microstepping are not part of Pololu/StepStick boards. They have the pins where jumpers can be connected, though, and about all RepRap electronics provide these.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

January 21, 2013 07:55PM
Yes but the poster seemed to indicate he wasnt using reprap electronics but a homebrew circuit. I was thinking perhaps some accommodation could be made for microstepping to smooth it out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login