Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LED symbols in integrated circuit layouts

Posted by John Stoner 
LED symbols in integrated circuit layouts
November 16, 2008 06:22PM
I have assembled most of my first board. I have not added the LEDs. As I look carefully at the diagram on the board, it's unclear to me from the symbol on the board which way the LEDs go in. I do know LEDs are polar, so it matters which way round you insert them. Due to deficiencies in my personal manual dexterity, I'd like to avoid desoldering as much as possible. How do I tell beforehand which way I insert the LEDs?

Is there a place on the larger site where I can find this kind of information? I've searched around a lot, and I can't find anything, either here or on Google or Wikipedia.
Re: LED symbols in integrated circuit layouts
November 16, 2008 06:26PM
LEDs have short/long legs - short is usually to the negative.
They often have a flat on the body beside the short/negative leg.
If you look into the side of the body, the legs get larger and close together, but the negative one is usually larger and cup shaped.
November 16, 2008 06:52PM
Thanks for the quick respons, but that doesn't answer the question: which leg goes in which hole? How do I tell by the diagram on the circuit board which wire to put in which hole?
sid
November 16, 2008 07:38PM
as you can see on the image (this is from the stepperboard):

Theres a flat side on the silkscreen (pointing upwards), match that with the flat side (longer leg) of the LED and you're okay winking smiley

'sid
November 16, 2008 08:44PM
Ok, that helped. The green LEDs I had did not happen to have a flat side, though they did have a longer leg. Thanks!
November 18, 2008 01:35AM
> Theres a flat side on the silkscreen (pointing upwards), match that
> with the flat side (longer leg) of the LED and you're okay winking smiley

Sid: those leds are not bicolor? So two leds built into the same package.
So if using normal led, you can put in it in either way it will light up.

You should use two normal led inserting one in other direction, and this way will be a functional replacement of the original bicolor led.

Correct me, if Im wrong here.

Khiraly
sid
November 18, 2008 03:23AM
twotone leds you can put in either way, yes.
single color leds are (hence the name.. diodes) therefor they will light up only in one direction,
leds with two colors have either three legs and are useless for your needs, or they have just two legs and you can solder them in as they come,
the only difference is, which color lights up in what direction.

you can use two leds as you mentioned, yes;
but it may be a good idea to have two sockets, to have them mounted properly winking smiley

'sid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login