Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper Drivers setting the correct current limits

Posted by scubi 
Stepper Drivers setting the correct current limits
February 18, 2013 06:20AM
Hi

I have read and just want to make sure that I am doing the correct thing to set the currect limits to the stepper drivers on my Sanguinololu board. The board was fully assembled and has the stepper drivers in. ( Power supply is 12v 29amp Screw Terminal type )

1. Do I connect all the Stepper motors ( Nema 17 2.5A (U) 1.8deg/step ) to their respective Stepper Drivers first( making sure the wires are correct ).
2. Then power the board.
3. The take my multimeter and Put the (+) test probe on this Ref and put the (-) probe to ground. Check the reading and adjust the screw on the Stepper driver. Also what should the Setting be ?

Just want to make sure this procedure is correct and that I am not going to blow the drivers or anything else.
Re: Stepper Drivers setting the correct current limits
February 18, 2013 07:55AM
You can set it without the motors connected if you want. If they are connected be sure to start low and increase it.

For a genuine Pololu driver 0.4V gives 1A and is a good starting point. Other driver boards have different sense resistors including some with 0 ohms. The current is Vref / (8 * Rs).

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login