Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Weird issue! Stepper motor runs when I touch IC!!!

Posted by AnandMG 
Weird issue! Stepper motor runs when I touch IC!!!
March 19, 2013 03:58AM
Hi,

I'm in process of getting electronics ready and thought I will check if the motors run properly
I have uploaded bootloader & firmware (splinter) on Sanguinlolu 1284P
I placed polulo driver for X & Y. Connected thro' pronterface & it said connected. Wen I tried to move X axis motor it didn't. I accidentally touched the lower half of Atmega 1284P and motor moved! Wen I removed my hand it stopped. Weird still wen I touched the polulo driver it rotated even faster
This happens only for the Xaxis motor output. If I connected the same motor to Y axis terminals & touch Atmega 1284P or driver it doesn't rotate
Not sure wat is the issue. Atmega 1284P or driver or firmware. Btw X axis rotates only wen touch and keep on turning and none of the motors respond to pronterface commands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 06:40AM by AnandMG.
Re: Weird issue! Stepper motor runs when I touch IC!!!
March 19, 2013 05:16AM
Stepper ic is quite sensitive to static. Imo, if you wear wool clothes and wool socks and keep touching it like that, you have a chance to kill it. Perhaps small one, but still a chance for that does exist.
VDX
March 19, 2013 07:04AM
... if the other drivers aren't affected, then this could be an issue with grounding/shielding (receiving EMI) or wrong solderd/defective/missing cpacitors and puldowns/pullups on the inputs of the IC's.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 19, 2013 07:20AM
Have you made sure you have set the configuration for sprinter to the correct electronics that you are using? It sounds like the pin assignments are wrong, and the X axis is connected to a high-impedance output so static is enough to make it jump.
March 19, 2013 08:37AM
Hi James,

I think that is the issue. Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion!

Will change and see what it does.

btw what happened is
The config file has these listed
// Sanguinololu 1.2 and above = 62
// Gen 7 @ 16MHZ only= 7

First I had the selected "62". I tried to upload using Arduino 1.0.3 and it wasn't uploading. I tried a lot of things, like uploading bootloader again, et al and one of them was changing motherboard setting to "7". Finally found the soln was using Arduino 23 but I haven't changed the motherboard setting back to "62".

In "62" the X_step pin is 15, while in "7" is pin 15 is PS_ON_PIN
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login